Walther CCP size comparison to other pistols

Pilot

It would be nice if gun manufacturers would start selling concealed carry firearms WITHOUT the huge light rail on the front.

Thanks for the comparison.

carguychris

Pilot said:
It would be nice if gun manufacturers would start selling concealed carry firearms WITHOUT the huge light rail on the front.
...or a squared-off and serrated trigger guard. It seems like NO well-known trainers advocate the support-hand-forward or index-finger-forward firing grip anymore, so I wonder why gunmakers still design trigger guards for this. (Perhaps these techniques are still prevalent in Europe? :confused: )

OTOH at least these trigger guards don't cause drag when drawing from a tight pancake holster, like a (superfluous) accessory rail does.

WildBill45

It would be nice if they made two models so you have choice, but they go with the market which leads some astray with advertising and trainers who like new things to have something to talk about, and shooters who follow anyone on TV and do what they do....

WildBill45

New is always good...

It seems like NO well-known trainers advocate the support-hand-forward or index-finger-forward firing grip anymore, so I wonder why gunmakers still design trigger guards for this

Teachers teach and doers do. Some of the best shooters, martial arts folks, and others don't do what most teachers teach, they adapt and do what works! Tubs won more across the course matches than anyone else and was the first to canter his rifle, against the core of the Marine Corps training, etc. Bruce Lee completely went off track in regard to doing what past masters were training. The above things are still practiced by some of us old school folks, and for good reasons. You see trainers on TV who teach more posing and their lingo terms for it, because that is this teachers do, develop their own techniques and language to give themselves merit, some are good, some are not. Any pose that slows one down, in shooting or in martial arts is a killer. By the time you pose you are already hit or shot by your opponent but, their followers will stand in front of a mirror playing the "Imitation Games" than time at the range actually shooting!

Don't judge old things because someone has thought up something new, like folks who train in a machine and on a screen, such as the new Shoot or Don't Shoot machines, but have never been hit or felt a muzzle blast, or real fear where you are operating on fight or flight instincts. NEW isn't always good.

Choice is good...

Last edited by a moderator:

fire4606

It seems like NO well-known trainers advocate the support-hand-forward or index-finger-forward firing grip anymore, so I wonder why gunmakers still design trigger guards for this.

Saw A video the other day where Jerry Miculek talked about how he still uses that grip on occasion with polymer framed pistols

barnbwt

"It seems like NO well-known trainers advocate the support-hand-forward or index-finger-forward firing grip anymore, so I wonder why gunmakers still design trigger guards for this"
I believe it's mostly a German fashion; lots of makers in the States and elsewhere no longer square the guard, but H&K always seemed to make a point of doing so. My beef with the gun's look, other than the grip design that is just needlessly 'busy' to my delicate sensibilities, is that there are about a half dozen pointy corners on the thing that simply make it look like it would be uncomfortable to hold or holster.

Also, that a tool is needed to strip it for cleaning. They really should have resolved that before going ahead with the release, but I'm sure "there was no alternative," or something to that effect.

TCB

carguychris

WildBill45 said:
Don't judge old things because someone has thought up something new, like folks who train in a machine and on a screen, such as the new Shoot or Don't Shoot machines, but have never been hit or felt a muzzle blast, or real fear where you are operating on fight or flight instincts. NEW isn't always good.
You're right. Perhaps I went a little overboard with my previous statement. :eek:

I just hate the way square trigger guards look and it clouded my judgment. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)
barnbwt said:
My beef with the gun's look, other than the grip design that is just needlessly 'busy' to my delicate sensibilities, is that there are about a half dozen pointy corners on the thing that simply make it look like it would be uncomfortable to hold or holster.
+1. IMHO the Ruger LC9 exemplifies how a small concealable 9mm pistol should look, and from a styling standpoint, the CCP is the "un-LC9". :(

Even if one sets the whole square trigger guard issue aside, it seems to me that many aspects of the CCP design exist solely because the Walther/Umarex designers apparently thought that uncluttered smooth surfaces are somehow undesirable.

barnbwt

I'm speaking, of course, from my experience with the R51, whose factory rounding of corners inexplicably didn't take the carry-gun world by storm. Seriously, why wouldn't you want your carry gun "slippery?" But still people clamor for tall, square slides, cheese grater serrations, and bumpy control handles. Baffling.

"the Walther/Umarex designers apparently thought that uncluttered smooth surfaces are somehow undesirable."
I'm sure they were inspired by power tools. :D

TCB