Walmart: Raising minimum age to 21.

rpseraph

Walmart will no longer sell guns nor ammunition to anyone under the age of 21. They haven't sold AR-15s since 2015, but this is a new level.

Walmart? Really?

Lohman446

It is the right of a company to decide what they will sell and to whom. Considering the public nature of the ownership of these companies and their shear size I am not certain how comfortable I am with them taking moral stances and decisions.

NateKirk

If government won’t do it, corporations are stepping up with some morals. It is a business’s right.

It seems corporations have more power to enact change than the government does in today's world.

rickyrick

It’s great that a corporation can choose to sell because of their values and morals.
What’s happening now is corporations are deciding whether groups of citizens are moral or not.

adamBomb

What’s happening now is corporations are deciding whether groups of citizens are moral or not.

They have been doing this forever, not just now. Go see if you can find a playboy at walmart...

rpseraph

I mean, the percentage of firearms and ammunition that are bought at big-box retailers is tiny compared to online and gun-stores... I suspect its more of PR stunt than anything.

However, it is hard for me to respect a company that participates in PR stunts like this. Personal opinion.

zukiphile

Lohmann said:
It is the right of a company to decide what they will sell and to whom.

Except when it isn't.

rpseraph said:
I mean, the percentage of firearms and ammunition that are bought at big-box retailers is tiny compared to online and gun-stores... I suspect its more of PR stunt than anything.

Surely it's a stunt.

I wonder about the relative volume of sales. People who buy by the case may think big box buyers are suckers, but if there are lots of them, they may outweigh the frugal and dedicated.

Lohman446

Except when it isn't.

True. I should have included a caveat in regards to protected classes. My biggest problem with major corporations is hiding behind some fiduciary duty to shareholders to morally "obligate" the use of questionable means of operation and then taking a "moral" stand such as the above. Either you are about the bottom line as a primary concern or you are not. It is possible that this is financially motivated in an effort to shield them from some financial liability.

ATN082268

However, it is hard for me to respect a company that participates in PR stunts like this. Personal opinion.

That's pretty much my take on it. Retailers can always start selling AR-15s, "high capacity magazines," etc. again after the dust settles with little downside.

zukiphile

Lohman said:
My biggest problem with major corporations is hiding behind some fiduciary duty to shareholders to morally "obligate" the use of questionable means of operation and then taking a "moral" stand such as the above. Either you are about the bottom line as a primary concern or you are not. It is possible that this is financially motivated in an effort to shield them from some financial liability.

Or it could simply be that a) they are getting bad PR advice, or b) they are getting good PR advice and I am wrong about enemies having longer memories than the general and uninterested public.

Last edited by a moderator:

lamarw

When I was a kid, I was able to buy rimfire and shotgun shells from the nearby country store. It was not until about 15 years later there was the mass shooting in the bell tower in Texas. It didn't seem the availbility of ammunition to us younguns (pun intended) was the cause of mass shootings.

So, I think we will see Walmart's stand having little if any validity. Usually commercial business decisions are based upon economics and nothing else.

Lohman446

Or it could simply be that a) they are getting bad PR advice, or b) they are getting good PR advice and I am wrong about enemies having longer memories than the general and uninterested public.

I think you are right about who has longer memories. I cannot remember a time when announcing you were going to restrict something has garnered more sales from those who were happy with you then it has cost from a combination of the restricted individuals and those who support them. Time and time we have seen someone publicly refuse to serve a particular group - I expect the support they get is much shorter lived than the support they lose because of the action.

Your forgetting a third possible option. That the person controlling the policy is pursuing self interests rather than those of the company. When you own the company that is fine because the two are intertwined. When a company is publicly traded this becomes a dilemma.

zukiphile

Lohman said:
Your forgetting a third possible option. That the person controlling the policy is pursuing self interests rather than those of the company. When you own the company that is fine because the two are intertwined. When a company is publicly traded this becomes a dilemma.

Indeed. The Paypal/Ebay option.

Lohman446

Out of curiosity: anyone know why 21? This seems like an incremental approach to get to the mid-twenties where neurological development and processes stabilize in most people. What is the significance of 21?

rickyrick

I think they use 21 because they’ve had success in banning things for people less than 21.

I was a long term service member and I think military service should begin at 25. Just my opinion, 18 year olds are smart and capable, but I don’t think that they are finished maturing mentally.

Now if the legal age of adulthood is 18 then all restrictions should be off. If you wanna restrict something till the age of 21, then fine, make the age of adulthood 21.

zukiphile

RR said:
I was a long term service member and I think military service should begin at 25. Just my opinion, 18 year olds are smart and capable, but I don’t think that they are finished maturing mentally.

I don't know any women who think I've finished maturing mentally. I'm 52.

18 year olds are teachable. I once heard someone who studies these things note that you can make an older man run every morning and learn dozen of new rules while he is transformed into a useful member of a group, but you are never going to make him think he is enjoying it.

Don P

It seems corporations have more power to enact change than the government does in today's world.
Yep all the hoop-la about this is all coming the "BIG BOX STORES". The mom and pop shops will hopefully be able to gain from the big corporations decisions.