Wally World Raised Ammo Prices?

Pietro Beretta

I went to Wal-Mart the other day, in Arroyo Grande, CA

Prices have increased since the last time I visited that store. I am not sure if this has happend awhile ago, but it was a surprise for me.

WWB 100 Round Value Packs
9mm
Old Price:9.95
New Price: 14.95

40S&W
Old Price:14.95
New Price:19.95

45 Auto
Old Price: 19.95
New Price: 24.95

Whats with this nonsense!? I might just have to order from ammoman.com

Groundhog

It happened several months ago. Went to like $12.00 a box, then over $14.00 a box. They are still the cheapest I have found excluding sales, at least in my neck of the woods.

lockedcj7

Metal prices have gone up world-wide. Partly due to China's booming economy and investment in infrastructure and partly due to high oil prices. It costs a lot to ship metal ya'know.

tuckerdog1

If it costs so much to ship metal, why can I buy a Made In China hammer at Harbor Freight for $2 or $3?

I've really wondered how they can even afford to ship them for that much, much less manufacture tham as well:D

Tuckerdog1

cheygriz

Yep. They've raised prices! Just like everyone else.

If we could just get the dad-burn Chinese and Indians to stop building infrastructure and be content to remain third world countries, we could get these prices under control!:D

wolverine350

Walmart here in Ponca city oklahoma has raised theres quite a bit to, but still cheaper than the other stores around here still:confused:

Travismaine

At the walmart in Ellsworth Maine last week they had Remington subsonic .22 on clearance for .50 cents a box. I bough tall they had 240.00 bucks..

TampaJim

Tampa prices

Bought some WWB 40S&W (100 ct) in WalMart the other day: $19.95 (+tax). Had been right around 16 bucks for the last year or so (when they had any in stock).... Their 100 rounds of WWB .38 special is up to $24.

Was in Dick's Sporting Goods (brand new store) Saturday looking at shotguns and a gentlemen asked about the cost of 9mm ammo ("Any particular kind, sir?" "Nah, jes 9 mumble, mumble"). Saleskid points out the two most expensive varieties in the case and lets the guy walk without trying to sell him the cheapest, at $9.95/box. Had a kind of smirk on his face the whole time...I know where I won't be buying ammo (or much else).

jimpeel

At the walmart in Ellsworth Maine last week they had Remington subsonic .22 on clearance for .50 cents a box. I bough tall they had 240.00 bucks..

I work for Wal-Mart and we don't let people decimate stocks on clearance items. There are not only quantity limits on certain items that are restricted but on clearance merchandise as well. The company feels that it is unfair for one customer to disallow other customers their ability to participate in a bargain. Whoever allowed you to decimate the stock by buying 480 boxes in one purchase was not doing their job.

gunhand

Decimate

I was under the impression Wal-Mart was in business to make money. I've bought large amounts of ammunition (and the last boxes) from them before as well and they never told me, no you can't buy that you have enough! They have such an advanced shipping/ordering system that immediately notifies the shipping center when they need more of a specific item, I can't imagine they would be out of stock for more than a day or two at most. Decimate means to decrease by 10%. He annihilated the stock.

ShipWreck

Yea, I mentioned the Academy ammo increase recently on another thread. It's still cheaper for 100 rounds there than at wal-mart - but prices keep going up...

Thank god most of my guns are 9mm.

Ian2005

When Academy had WWB 9mm for $6.97 per 50, I used to buy there. Now that it is $7.97 I go to Wally World to save a buck. Literally.

For a store I used to hate and completely avoid as it is "Bad for America", I sure am finding myself there more and more...

I apologize to all the Ma' and Pa' stores selling ammo at higher prices.

Crosshair

I work at WM too and we had one guy clear us out on our clearance shotgun ammo a few weeks ago. Bought about $150 worth of ammo. There was no problem selling it all to him. Clearance is just that, we want to clear it out to whoever will buy it. We sell 9mm ammo by the case and as long as you have the money and ID, we will sell it to you.

I have never heard of such artificial limits. Want 5,000 tubes of toothpaste? Sure, pull up to the loading area by the front door once it's paid for and we will load it. We have some religious colonies that order $3,000 worth of stuff at once. One guy from Canada comes down and buys a pallet of motor oil for his business in Canada every two months or so. (He says it is cheaper to buy retail down here than buy wholesale in Canada.:eek: He said a liter of oil costs the same as a gallon down here.) The total from his last trip was $9,800. So yea, if you have the money and it's legal to, we will sell it to you.

/Seems like the US is Canada's Mexico. Always a ton of them down here shopping.
//I don't mind, more money for the local economy

RedneckFur

Today, at the Walmart in Hillsborough, NC, I was shocked at the price of ammo. I ended up paying $21 for a 100 round box of 38special, and $22 for a 50 round box of .357 110gr JHP.

Only a year ago I paid $13 and $17, respectively.

TigerRose

Dick's Sporting goods is selling 9mm for 9.99 a box remington target rounds, but they raised the prices from 69.98 for 500 rounds to 79.97 for 500 rounds.
Most of it like everyone said is due to increase oil prices on shipping materials over. Also cause of the war in Iraq, a manager at Dick's told me 95% of all major ammo brands ( Remington, Winchester, CCI etc.) are sold directly to the military, while the remaining 5% is directed to law enforcement as 1st priority and what's left over is given to retail stores. To me 95% sounds a little bit extreme, but they keep jacking up the prices so it might be true. Also due to the war, copper and lead are going up like crazy too. So for now I'm going to the range w/ a brick of .22lr and maybe 50 rounds of 9mm :D

Omega blood

I work at WM too and we had one guy clear us out on our clearance shotgun ammo a few weeks ago. Bought about $150 worth of ammo. There was no problem selling it all to him. Clearance is just that, we want to clear it out to whoever will buy it. We sell 9mm ammo by the case and as long as you have the money and ID, we will sell it to you.

Interesting. I was just at WM last week and had noticed the price change as well. Around here(CA) it is still cheaper at wall mart. I saw 100 rd value pack of 9mm was about $30 at the local sporing goods store.
The guy at WM said that he thinks the prices might go up again. He also said that WM isn't making any profit on ammo.

Crosshair, how much for a case of 9mm and how do you ask for it. The guy told me that next time I came in he would sell me a case.I thought he was yanking my chain.

Maser

So is it just the metalic cartridges or what? I noticed a spike in those types of cartridges, but the shotgun shells seem to be the same price.

fivepaknh

The WM near me in NH has the .45 100 rnd value packs on sale for $26. They also have Blazer Brass .45 rnd boxes for $10.95. I picked up two boxes of the Blazer and saved $4.00.