Waffling Between M&P-15X and M&P-15 MOE

Mr. Davis

I'm interested in both the Smith and Wesson M&P-15X and the M&P-15 MOE rifles. Each has certain advantages and disadvantages and I'd like the input of those more experienced members (which will be virtually all of you).

Here are my intentions for the AR rifle I buy:
  • I want to start by learning to shoot using iron sights and then upgrade to an optic later.
  • I want to mount a light on the gun
  • I want to add a sling to the gun
  • I may add a forward vertical grip to the rifle at some point, but maybe not.
The quad rail on the -15X seems like overkill since I'm just intending to mount a light on it. Plus, the MOE handguard is much more comfortable than the quad rail. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I can add a light to the M&P-15 MOE - I'm just not experienced enough. What are my options there?

The MOE seems to have the superior stock, but I'd be interested in feedback on that too.

The rifle will be my first long gun, and such will serve a number of roles, from home defense to range plinking.

Assuming I can get either for a reasonable price, which do you feel would be better based on my intended goals? Thanks in advance for any answers.

mgdavis

The MOE handguard is designed so that you may attach sections of rail at 12, 2, 6, and 10 o'clock. The MOE stock is only $30, so you could add it to the "X" easily enough. Either rifle should work fine for your purpose.

Edit - You add rail covers to the portion of the quad rail that you're not using, so the comfort issue is less of an issue.

tINY

All of those quote a 16" barrel. A 20" barrel would be better for a first AR15 - it's more efficient and has a lot less muzzle blast.

-tINY

Mr. Davis

Thanks. I'm leaning towards a 16 inch barrel because of some tight confines in my home. This carbine will be for home defense as well, so I don't want a 20 inch bbl getting hung up on the corners.

mgdavis

Just realized that I was thinking about the MOE handguard when I quoted $30. The MOE stock is $60.

There's nothing wrong with starting on a 16" AR, and I see no reason that the OP needs a shotgun to go plinking at the range.

tINY

A 223 rifle is a poor choice for defense inside a typical home. Just suggesting that may not be a good reason for a short barrel - unless it's SBR short...

-tINY

Quentin2

S&W is good but there are other choices. Curious why you're committed to one brand. And you can build your own AR to avoid replacing parts, get the right ones for you the first time. Just hang out at the AR forums until you get a feel for what you want.

I'm a fan of iron sights but if there's any likelihood you'll buy optics later then get flip up BUIS that work with optics. Personally I like the look and flexibility of a carry handle so I went that route but it's an A4 so I can remove it if I change my mind.

As much as I like the AR I kinda think it's a bit much for home defense, maybe a good pistol or revolver would serve better. And get the AR for the rest. It's hard to get one weapon to do it all but it sounds like you may already have a handgun, though.

RT

penetr10.jpg

Mr. Davis

S&W is good but there are other choices. Curious why you're committed to one brand. And you can build your own AR to avoid replacing parts, get the right ones for you the first time. Just hang out at the AR forums until you get a feel for what you want.
I settled on S&W because after doing a lot of research on the various brands, S&W had the following positive attributes: 1) factory configurations I liked, 2) a price that's right, and 3) an excellent reputation for quality and reliability in their AR line (I realize one can buy better, but I can't :D)

As much as I like the AR I kinda think it's a bit much for home defense, maybe a good pistol or revolver would serve better. And get the AR for the rest. It's hard to get one weapon to do it all but it sounds like you may already have a handgun, though.
I do already have a Springfield XD 9mm, which doubles as my carry piece.

I like the idea that the AR in 5.56/.223 will not overpenetrate as much as 9mm.

Mr. Davis

A 223 rifle is a poor choice for defense inside a typical home. Just suggesting that may not be a good reason for a short barrel - unless it's SBR short..
Are you saying the .223 is a bad choice, or that the rifle itself would be unwieldy in a home defense situation?

NSO_w/_SIG

16"- fine for 1st AR
S&W- Decent deal and quality
AR in .223- Good for HD

The main thing is you know the weapon system and get one that goes bang everytime.

There are some on here that love to tell you that AR's are bad for HD and everyone should have a shotgun for it. There are also some on here that believe that you should start racking your shotgun when there is a known intruder in your house because they'll turn tail and run. :rolleyes:

I'm NRA LE instructor in HG, Shotgun and patrol carbine. I am going with my AR 100% of the time if I have a choice. I've read the data, studied the ballistics, know my capabilities. And IMO the carbine>shotgun.

miker84

I just picked up an M&P15 MOE. I really like the MOE handguard. Now I'm looking for rails to bolt on and it seems that the cost of adding rails is almost up there with a full entry-level quad-rail guard.

Technosavant

The M&P15MOE is a great choice for an all around defensive carbine. Unless you plan on doing a lot of shooting at several hundred yards, you aren't losing anything significant in terms of accuracy or velocity. The furniture is good quality, and quite honestly, if you're only going to have a light on it, the MOE handguard is just fine. 4 rail handguards are overkill for most people (even me, and I have them on a couple ARs). I'm not sure if it's sturdy enough for a VFG, but I haven't messed with the MOE grip more than just fondling one in the gun store. You can always put on a rail segment at the 6 o'clock spot and see if it flexes too much for you.

If you are looking for a rail segment, the 4" one on this page will work just fine (even though it will be a couple inches longer than you'll really need).

Are there other good ARs out there? Yup. But I think the MOE one may well be the one of the better picks right out of the box.

(BH)

Why not just get the M&P15x and put some rail covers on it? I think rail covers look cooler than the traditional hand guards anyhow, but that's just me.

That's my plan for my 15x. I'm putting a light and vert. grip on it so the X was the way to go for me, but any unused rail area is just covered up with Magpul rail covers.

Hopefully mine will arrive at my FFL today. I'm pretty excited. Good luck with your descision.

Mr. Davis

Everyone, thanks for your insight. I think I'm going to go with the M&P-15 MOE in black now that I know how to mount things to the fore end. I appreciate your help greatly!