Wad fouling

bigautomatic

Couple quick questions. First, what is the best way to remove wad fouling? I've seen a variety of brushes and such, but what works best on the plastic fouling for you?
Second, I have a couple of very nice rods for rifles, but is there an adapter available to go from rifle to shotgun cleaning implements? Or recomend a quality designated shotgun cleaning rod? I refuse to buy cheap cleaning rods so I'd prefer to use my rifle rods if a high quality rod is not available for shotguns. Thanks!

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Power tools......

I use 4/0 steel wool in a split wooden dowel that's chucked in a variable speed, reversible drill. A pass or two gets most fouling out, though the choke and forcing cone may need a bit more. Reverse the direction at least once.

A 5 minute job at worse.

zippy13

For plastic wad residue, the best I've found is Shooter's Choice solvent. Give it a little time to work. I don't have a clue about the cleaning rod tip adapter.

mete

Hoppe's had a 'brush' they used to call a 'tornado' brush which works the best .As mentioned there are solvents for plastic fouling. You could reduce the problem by getting shotguns that have chrome plated bores !!

oneounceload

Shooter's choice IS an excellent solvent, but if you want it gone NOW, the cheap brake cleaner from wally world does the trick - it cleans the choke inside and out immediately. Remove your chokes and spray some down your barrels (off the gun) then take your bronze bore brush on a rod chucked into the cordless drill and clean your barrel in one pass, followed by a patch and you are finished.
Do the same to the choke tubes while removed.

Some wad/powder combinations seem to be more prone to that issue than others

dahermit

Couple quick questions. First, what is the best way to remove wad fouling? I've seen a variety of brushes and such, but what works best on the plastic fouling for you?
Shooter's Choice will curl it up and turn it to mush, and it will come out with just a patch. No need for mechanical removal stuff.

Will Beararms

I clean a shotgun or any firearm after every use if it is only a cursory spray down with Rem Oil and a pull-through or two with a bore snake. This way, if I do miss a cleaning, it is not as bad. This frequent cleaning is also the final sfaety check before the weapon is securely stored.

Normally, I spray the inside of the barrel with rem oil and let it sit for 20 minutes or so following it up with a copper bore brush and repeat two or three times.

I have found progressive cleaning wards off the progressive wad residue build up. If you do not do this, Rem Oil will not be strong enough. You will need shooter's choice or something like the old Hoppe's that will really cut it.

oletymer

Just spray the barrel with WD40, let it sit a couple of minutes then run a tornado brush through it 4 or 5 times and it is perfectly clean. There is no need for steel wool and high priced solvents.

zippy13

"Hoppe's had a 'brush' they used to call a 'tornado' brush which works the best."

"...then run a tornado brush through it 4 or 5 times and it is perfectly clean."​
FYI: My shotguns' owners manuals specifically warn against using tornado-style brushes -- they were made from steel. As a comp shooter who needed to get shotgun barrels clean fast, I found fuzzy sticks the best solution.

BigJimP

I use Shooter's Choice shotgun and choke tube cleaner. Spray it in / let it set for about 30 sec and scrub it out...

http://www.shooters-choice.com/shotgun_choke_cleaner.html

In fact I use the same shooters choice on all of my handguns, etc ...it doesn't attack the finish on wood stocks and it works real well.

I like one piece cleaning rods ...lots of different brands around ... Kleenbore are the ones I use ... and I also like their T handle ...chamber mate brush works real well on chambers and choke tubes ...to get the extra plastic fouling out of the chokes. Here's a link ...

http://www.pistoleer.com/kleenbore/shotgun/

zippy13

Oletymer, thanks for the heads-up. I switched over to fuzzy sticks many years ago and have never looked back. In addition to Bore Tech's Tornado style brushes, BigJim's Kleen-Bore link lists their spiral design brass brush as the Twister, there's probably a Cyclone brush out there, too.

These days, Kleen-Bore's stainless steel brushes are advertised with the warning "use extreme care to avoid bore damage." IIRC, the old stainless steel Toronado brushes came without warnings. This may have prompted Perazzi to reference them in their instruction manuals.

BigJimP

yes, I stay away from those stainless steel brushes too ...

I don't much care for the nylon ones either ....the bronze or brass work the best for me.

The "T" handle was really my point in posting that link / the "T" handle is durable and gives you a lot of leverage / and makes cleaning chambers and chokes real easy ! I think steel wool / and power drills are a little too heavy handed ....on a shotgun personally ...( but of course if I was only cleaning 870's like our esteem leader ...) ...:rolleyes: I'd have a drill and some 60 grit sandpaper nearby too ....:D ....( just kidding David...) ...

oneounceload

Jim, an old cleaning rod with the handle cut off, and your favorite brush on the end - when chucked into a cordless drill gets the barrel really clean. Then I finish it off with Zippy's aforementioned "fuzzy stick", aka Tico Tool.

BigJimP

Hey, I know, I know ....you guys keep saying that ...

but .....in my hands and shoulders ( at least in my own mind ..:D) ....that cleaning rod moves just like if its chucked up into a 1/2" 19 volt drill .....: :D

and I don't get any cleaning stuff ...all over my nice drills ...:D

bigautomatic

Alrighty. Thanks for all the responses. I believe the bores are chrome lined, so the wad fouling may come out easier than I anticipated. One last thing to ask, would it hurt for me to clean the bores with a brass brush and some strips of copper Chore Boy wrapped around it? Works like a charm getting the lead out of my revolvers, so I'm thinking that it would remove the wad fouling fairly easily too? This didn't cross my mind 'til this afternoon....

BigJimP

Yes, the copper Chor boy pads work just fine .../ although I haven't used them in years ...( I used to use them on my revolvers too ) ...

If you use one of the "T" handle chamber brushes - / with a brass or bronze brush on it - you won't need the chor boy pads ...but if you have a supply of them / they won't hurt anything ...

I spray the cleaner / wait 30 sec ....brush the choke tubes 4 or 5 times with the T handle brush and they're done ....