(WA) Gun Deaths Down in King County

pax

Note for those out of state: King County means Seattle area.

From http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/local/guns13.shtml
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Gun-related injuries, deaths dip over 5 years in King County

Wednesday, September 13, 2000

By CAROL SMITH
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Gun-related deaths and injuries fell in King County between 1993 and 1998, although guns remain the leading cause of death for males and some minority groups, according to a health department report released yesterday.

The report, issued by Public Health -- Seattle & King County, showed a 38 percent decline in the firearm death rate and a 40 percent decline in injuries during that five-year period. The report attributed the decline to a dramatic decrease in gun homicides after 1994.

However, guns are the leading cause of death from injury for certain groups, including males, African Americans, Asian youths and Native American youths between the ages of 15 and 24.

"Firearms are second only to motor vehicles as the leading cause of death from an injury in King County," said health department Director Dr. Alonzo Plough, who also announced a new initiative called LOK-IT UP to get gun owners to store guns safely.

The aim is to prevent accidental shootings and reduce the number of stolen firearms that are used to commit crimes.

The project, underwritten by a grant from the Washington State Department of Health, will offer discount coupons for safe storage devices at participating gun shops. It will also provide educational materials detailing strategies for storing guns safely.

The program is expected to begin next month.

The declining county gun-death rate reflects a national trend. Nationally, the rate of firearm deaths fell 27.6 percent during the same period.

King County has also consistently been under the national rate for gun-related deaths.

In 1998, there were 7.9 deaths per 100,000 people in King County, compared with 11.3 per 100,000 nationally. In 1993, there were 12.7 deaths per 100,000 people in King County, compared with 15.6 per 100,000 nationally.

The report also found:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>The rate of gun-related deaths for males is five times higher than for females in King County.
<LI>The death rates from gun injuries in southeast Seattle and Highline/Burien exceeded the average for King County.
<LI>Youth and the elderly are the most frequent victims of gun violence.
<LI>Youth are at increased risk of being slain with guns.
<LI>People over age 65 are at increased risk of self-inflicted gunshots.
<LI>Thirty-two percent of gun deaths between 1993 and 1998 were homicides.
<LI>Sixty-five percent were suicides.
<LI>Only 1 percent of firearm deaths were categorized as accidental.
</UL>
Between 1993 and 1994, gun violence increased in King County, primarily in Seattle, because of increased gang activity and availability of guns. The trend reversed after the state began mandating background checks for handgun purchases and because of stricter law enforcement.

For more details, the report is available at www.metrokc.gov/health
[/quote]

I'm wondering when Washington's "shall issue" law passed. Anyone know offhand?

pax

"The people cannot delegate to government the power to do anything which would be unlawful for them to do themselves." -- John Locke

FPrice

Pax,

I don't know when it passed, but I do know that it was in effect when I applied for my first CCW back about 1982 or so.

I still have my re-issue hanging around the house some where, think I got that in 1985. I held on to it to remind me of where I want to live when I finally grow up! <G>

Frosty