W231 for 9mm

Kram

Hey guys, I've been using W231 for my 45acp reloading and I think I'll stick with it. I'm going to start reloading 9mm and I thought I'd start with this powder. I was just courious what others think of this powder for 9mm ?

Thank you for your input.

fish

Jim Watson

Well, the label on my current 8 lb caddy says HP38 but it is the same powder.
I have tried others in 9mm for price or curiosity but always go back to HP38/W231.

kmw1954

I too use HP-38 in my 9mm. With plated 115/124gr bullets I am getting the most consistency with my reloads. I started with that powder because it is a good middle of the road powder which meters very well, fills the case to a good level and is fairly forgiving.

Hammerhead

W231 is terrific with 115 and 124 bullets in 9mm.

4.4 grains W231 with a 124 XTP is one of my most accurate 9mm loads.

For 147 grain bullets I like a slower powder like WSF.

mikld

As noted above, yep, W231/HP-38 be a good powder for 9mm. I started using W231 for 38 Specials n '71, and always kept some on hand (one reason I liked W231 was because when I used a dipper/scale combo for charging, I could hold .1 grain from dip to dip)..

T. O'Heir

Winchester 231 will do nicely to start. Lots of cast and jacketed data on Hodgdon's site.
Only use Bullseye myself. And for the same reason. I use it in .45 ACP and .38 WC loads.

1MoreFord

When I started reloading I started with Unique. Never did like the stuff.

Upon receiving one of the few pieces of good advice I Ever got at a gun store I switched to WW231/HP38 for .38spl, 9mm, and .45acp and have never looked back. Great powder.

Kram

This is good to hear. Thanks for all the help. I think I'll get a 4 pound bottle the next time I'm at my reloading shop. I was researching powders yesterday and noted HP-38.
I also load for 38sp, .357 and 45colt. I use 2400 for the .357 and 45c because those are for lever guns but I'll give it a try in 38sp..

Last edited:

gwpercle

HP38 and W231 have been the same powders for the last 5 to 10 years , one sold by Winchester and the other sold by Hodgdon , but now the cats out of the bag !
And if that's not confusing enough ...you still see data for each listed separately and people who swear they are not the same !
I just look for data for whatever is printed on my bottle, HP38 or W231 , and go with whatever the manual says ...usually the differences in printed data between the two are slight if at all .
Gary

Jim Watson

When Winchester/Olin was distributing its own line of powders, you could get into lot differences in different labs. Hence, different data.
Now Hodgdon distributes both so it is all out of the same barrel, run through the same lab. Therefore identical numbers, 'cause they only test once.

Lexspeed

Just to confirm, Win231 is a very good powder for 9mm and similar calibers. It meters easily and I reload 32acp with it. 231/38 is my main pistol powder.

Baldwin

I've been using W231 to load 9mm and .45ACP since I started reloading a couple of years ago. I've been very satisfied with the results.

Dufus

When WW230 was reformulated in 1973, they changed the name to WW231.

I bought my first can of WW231 at that time. It has worked all those years in a multitude of handgun loads for me.

I still have a can of WW230 in the stock pile. As a matter of fact, I have some of its predecessor in the stock pile too (WW230P).

Over the last several years, I have regulated most of my 9mm loads to VV N340.

I still use the WW231 some, so I haven't totally abandoned it.

Nick_C_S

I don't load a lot of 9mm. To me, it's a utilitarian (re: CCW) cartridge and has little recreational value. And factory ammo is still relatively cheap.

I've had great luck using W231 (or HP-38) in 9mm - especially 115gn bullets. Velocities can get up pretty good with 115's. It also makes really consistent 124's too; but velocities will be in the "range ammo" neighborhood.

I suspect it would be a bit touchy under 147's. Need something slower for the heavies.

But yeah, W231 is good for 9mm.

44 AMP

Staff
231 is excellent for the standard 9mm with 125gr or lighter bullets.

If your average load is 5gr that's 1,400 rnds per pound of powder.

I use Red Dot, but only because I have quite a bit of it to use up. 231 is cleaner, usually.

For more than 30 years WW 231 has been my go to powder for about 95% of my reloading...

.32 Long, .32-20, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .45 ACP.

And especially 9mm.

It is a perfect powder for 9mm.