W White Box 230 FMJ .45 acp

Dobe

Does anyone know the muzzle velocity of the Winchester White Box Value Pak (100) - Wal Mart special? I'm wondering if it is between 830-850.

Tom2

Yep, probably close to what they advertise on their website. They probably also used a standard sized 1911 barrel length. Someone could state what they chrono'd with their gun, but it varies from gun to gun so you could only tell for sure by chronoing it with your particular gun or maybe one just like it. I have had satisfactory results with the WWB 230 JHP stuff. Otherwise ball blasting ammo is whatever is cheap maybe, except Wolf steel case.

bluewater

Chronographed WWB 230 grain FMJ, 806 FPS shot out of my Sig GSR.

Chronographed WWB 230 grain FMJ, 815 FPS shot out of my S&W 1911.

Both handguns have 5" barrels.

Christian James

I use WWB in my Baer Concept II as it is a very accurate round out of that gun. The website says that the velocity of WWB is 835 fps, but I chrono'd several rounds out of my CII and the average was ~ 850 fps. Maybe my Baer has a "fast" barrel?

Dobe

but I chrono'd several rounds out of my CII and the average was ~ 850 fps. Maybe my Baer has a "fast" barrel?
Could be a different lot of ammo too from that reported by bluewater.

I was thinking it was around 830 fps. As expensive as it is, it is still the cheapest factory -non remanufactured- ammo I have found for .45 acp (FMJ with brass cases - I want the cases).

I am a reloader, but haven't set my presses back up. I also have a couple of polygonal guns that require jacketed ammo. I guess that means I'll have to buy at least the projectiles, unless I decide to swage for handguns.

I'll keep buying at Wal Mart until I get my Dillion up and running.

hdawson228

I found that WWB is very dirty. Understand, I use a SA1911 in stainless and the slide exterior is very dirty after only 30 rounds. I've switched to any thing else. :cool:

HK123

I found that WWB is very dirty. Understand, I use a SA1911 in stainless and the slide exterior is very dirty after only 30 rounds. I've switched to any thing else.

it's not that bad. There's dirtier ammo out there really. Plus it's cheap, plentiful, and sure functioning.

Tom2

I don't have any WWB ball ammo, just the JHP like I said, but I also found I have some of those brown boxes of Winchester ball ammo US gov't contract stuff. Suppose it is made on the same machinery as the commercial ball? Would save money to do that for them and more efficient that having two lines making essentially the same product. Maybe the contract stuff gets more QC checks just to meet the requirements but I bet it is similiar.

HK123

The difference between the NATO rounds and the stuff you can buy at the store is the loading. NATO specifications for pressure levels are slightly higher.

KChen986

For some reason the WWB ammo causes jams in my guns. Usually 1 jam per 100 rounds. It might be the fouling or 'loaded light.' Compared to Blazer, my guns function 100% and i can feel a slight increase in recoil--much cleaner too.

Tom2

Nato rounds? I don't know that there is a Nato spec for 45 automatic!? Just the 9MM as far as I know. If it was some Nato spec, it would have that cross in a ball Nato stamp on the cartridge, right? I am pretteee sure that there is a US mil. spec for .45 ammo only going on here? No other Nato country uses the 45 that I know of. That is why they switched to the Berettas I thought, to be compatible with Nato for ammo in sidearms. I am looking at a drawing from a mil. manual that says the powder charge is to give a 820 +/- 25 fps. velocity at 25 1/2 feet from the muzzle of the issue type pistol. That is presumably less than the actual MV.