Vz-58/2008 trouble

raftman

Had this gun for a bit and like it. It's a nice, light, novel alternative for an AK (though I've also got one of those). Been shooting primarily Wolf brand ammo, and haven't had any problems after several hundred rounds. Last time around, however, the only 7.62x39 the local shop had in stock was Yugo surplus M67. I fired some of the Wolf I already had on hand, and then probably 60 rounds of the Yugo stuff, and all seemed well. No malfunctions or issues of any kind. I get home, and disassemble the rifle for cleaning, and find that the piston spring is smashed up and a coil or two is literally broken off from the rest of the spring. From what I'd read, the M67 round produces 25% more pressure than the typical Russian load, yet I've fired the Yugo stuff from my SKS quite a lot with no ill effect.

So how do I diagnose this problem? Did the greater power of the Yugo rounds cause the piston to cycle with greater force, destroying the spring? Was it likely just a defective spring? Does the muzzle brake I've attached somehow have something to do with it (it's a Czech military style brake I purchased from Czech-point)?

Here's a pic:

_IGP3529.jpg

Last edited: