vx-ii ao or vx-iii w/ custom parallax?

mdd

I spoke w/ a leupold rep the other day regarding scope options. I have a 4-12x40 ao vx-ii that I have been very pleased with. The only time I've noticed a shortcoming with it was late last winter calling coyotes at about 1 am under a bright full moon. However, it got the job done & I dropped one at about 35 yards. I am in the process of working up a good load for my new 22-250. When I find one I like, i'll give the ballistic data & geographical info to leupold & have a custom 'LR Plex' reticle made for the new scope through their custom shop.
The price of the same vx-ii w/ the adjustable objective & custom reticle is $40 less than a vx-iii of the same magnification, no ao but with a custom set 200 yard parallax, and the aforementioned reticle.
I've never owned a vx-iii so, for those who have owned both, is the upgrade in the optics worth losing the adjustable objective? I really like the ao but this will be a coyote puncher and more often than not I set the objective on 200 and go w/ it.

phil mcwilliam

Prior to a recent hunting trip I had my buddies hunting rifles stored at my place & decided to do a hunting scenario comparison between the different variable scopes, with rifles set up on a table side by side (bolts removed), aimed & focused approximately 200 yards away. The comparison was conducted on a clear day from mid day to midnight under a late rising moon.
There is a "slight" difference in clarity between the VX-II & VXIII in 40mm objective, according to my eyes, but not enough to really make a difference on a hunting shot.
To be honest for hunting during regulated times there was little difference in function between the scopes I compared which included Tasco world class, Bushnell trophy, various Leupolds in VX-II / VXIII 40 & 50MM objectives, Kahles, & Zeiss.
Sure some scopes were clearer than others during the day, but I found the biggest difference was in the final minutes before darkness , & under moonlight.
The 50mm objective scopes really outshone the 40mm objectives in both dusk & moonlight - a functional difference.
I found the Leupold VX-III 50mm comparable in hunting clarity to the European brands at dusk. I also found the European scopes(Kahles / Zeiss) noticeably clearer under moonlight than the Leupold.
I never found a problem with my Leupold variables that didn't have A/O , even though I do play wit the A/O on my Zeiss.
I guess I've hunted that long with a Duplex reticle that I don't like anything different. I've got a 22-250 & you got to shoot a long way before you worry about hold over.
Might I add that only recently have I changed to a 50mm objective in hunting, from 30 years of 40mm objectives & less. To me there has been no disadvantage of changing to 50mm. I have blasted plenty of running rabbits using the 50mm objective set on 2.5x & also snap-shot a spooked deer with a heart shot at around 30 yards earlier in the year.

Last edited: