?? VS Airweight

Lohman446

I started this thread in the revolver forum to compare the opinions on the Airweight vs the LCRx. While I am going to be up front and flat out admit the shortcomings of these revolvers for the intended use weight is of paramount importance.

Long story short after a few sightings this year of small bears in the area and some game camera pictures of cougar within 10 miles my wife has gone from the "you should carry something when you run" to sending me specs on various firearms. I ordered and just received a crossbreed belly band with a holster for my SP101 but have a feeling it will be heavier then I desire to run with (the same concern goes for my G29). I may try it with my P938 if it feeds the intended rounds adequately.

I get it - 5 rounds of .38 is not a lot. I do intend to use the Underwood Extreme Penetrator line of ammo and am of the opinion that my best hope would be expansion. Keep in mind my current "plan" if met with a four legged threat while running involves a tree and hoping for a stick to fend it off until help arrives. For a two legged threat it involves ditching my high visibility shirt and hitting the woods. They may not be the best of plans.

The thing the Airweight has going for it - under 15 ounces. Weight matters not so much because of speed but because of bouncing. Frankly I'm not seeing a lot of semi's near that. I also wonder if the distribution of weight on a loaded revolver carries more securely because its more centered to the holster.

So what semi am I missing or is this one of those cases that going with the revolver is just going to be the best I'm going to come up with in a less than ideal compromise.

HistoryJunky

A .380 Ruger LCP is 9 or 10 ounces unloaded. Holds 6+1. I would think .38 would be better for your needs though due to heavier bullet weights.

If I can find a small enough scale, I'll weigh my Kahr CM9 for you. 6+1 of 9mm. I think it weighs 15oz unloaded.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

smee78

The Ruger LC9S weights in at only 17.2 oz and the S&W Shield is at 18.2 oz, both can be had with or with out a safety and in my personal opinion is easier to control bounce due to it being flatter and can be tighter against the body. Both weights are for the 9mms.

Onward Allusion

Glock 27 and drop a G32 barrel into it and call it a day or just get a G32. :D

For activities like running or exercising, you'll want the gun flat and against your body to avoid bouncing. A good option to a belly band is an armband holster. You'll keep cool, gun will not bounce, and you can get to it fast.

David R

I have an airweight 637 and an LCP, and a Sig P238.

The LCP is far lighter and easier to carry. 380 9.4 ounces

My 1 7/8" Airweight is my "Big Gun". 38 sp +P 14.3 oz

The P238 has far better "Shootability". 380 15.2 ounces

I carry all 3 in an ankle holster.

Then they get bigger.

Charter arms Bulldog. 5 shots 44 special. Fits in J frame holsters. 21 oz

Colt aluminum frame Officers Model, 6+1 shots 45 ACP 24 ounces

SP101 21/4" barrel 25.5 ounces

David

Last edited:

Mosin44az

The LCR in .357 weighs 17 oz. and is far more comfortable to shoot than either the .38 or the Airweight. IF you shoot .38s out of it.....

Last edited:

CDR_Glock

I started this thread in the revolver forum to compare the opinions on the Airweight vs the LCRx. While I am going to be up front and flat out admit the shortcomings of these revolvers for the intended use weight is of paramount importance.

Long story short after a few sightings this year of small bears in the area and some game camera pictures of cougar within 10 miles my wife has gone from the "you should carry something when you run" to sending me specs on various firearms. I ordered and just received a crossbreed belly band with a holster for my SP101 but have a feeling it will be heavier then I desire to run with (the same concern goes for my G29). I may try it with my P938 if it feeds the intended rounds adequately.

I get it - 5 rounds of .38 is not a lot. I do intend to use the Underwood Extreme Penetrator line of ammo and am of the opinion that my best hope would be expansion. Keep in mind my current "plan" if met with a four legged threat while running involves a tree and hoping for a stick to fend it off until help arrives. For a two legged threat it involves ditching my high visibility shirt and hitting the woods. They may not be the best of plans.

The thing the Airweight has going for it - under 15 ounces. Weight matters not so much because of speed but because of bouncing. Frankly I'm not seeing a lot of semi's near that. I also wonder if the distribution of weight on a loaded revolver carries more securely because its more centered to the holster.

So what semi am I missing or is this one of those cases that going with the revolver is just going to be the best I'm going to come up with in a less than ideal compromise.

There are chest Holster systems that are more secure than a Belly band. I don't care for belly bands, and I'm not thick. I have used concealed carry shirts but if you're jogging, I'm not a fan of sweat getting onto my firearm. So, an alternative Holster is cheaper to go with if you still have an SP101.

For a Semiauto, a Glock 43 is no slouch. It's durable and reliable. I don't like external safeties, either...

For revolvers, I prefer heavier weights since I use hot ammo (357, 44 or 454:Magnums).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dgludwig

I get it - 5 rounds of .38 is not a lot.

You might want to consider getting an LCR chambered in .327 Magnum-six rounds of a potent ammunition in the same weight and size revolver when comparing it to the .357 Magnum LCR version.

CDW4ME

Kahr PM9 or PM40 (CM series is same size but cost less)
PM9 is advertised at 16 ounces including magazine.
6+1 (9mm) or 5+1 (40) capacity.

Not bear bullets, but will give you an idea of short barrel performance.
Kahr PM9 (my chrono averages)
Federal HST 124 +P @ 1,120 fps / 345# KE
Corbon 115 +P JHP @ 1,264 fps / 408# KE

Kahr PM40 (my chrono averages)
180 gr. Speer Gold Dot @ 950 fps / 361# KE
155 gr. Federal Bonded @ 1,086 fps / 406# KE

Picture is LCP 380 and PM40
158466d1476639655-pocket-caliber-extremes-kahr-pm40-lcp-380-similar-recoil-pm40a.jpg

Kwik2010

I have an LCR chambered in 357. On occasion it rides in the pocket of basketball shorts when I make a quick trip to the gas station late in the evening. I hardly notice it is there. If I remember correctly it's right at 17 ounces. Not sure of the loaded weight. I swear by that firearm as I shoot it well and it's chambered in a versatile cartridge. I've found that with enough practice that I can make accurate follow up shots even with powerful 357 loads. Mine seems to shoot low with 38s but dead on with 357s.

DaleA

I [with an LCR] can make accurate follow up shots even with powerful 357 loads.

Your a better man than I Kwik2010! Seriously, good for you.

I got a chance to shoot an LCR with 158 grain .357 magnum loads (Magtech, nothing really 'hot' about 'em.) and just plain old will not do that any more. I don't consider myself particularly recoil sensitive but if offered I'll only shoot the LCR with 125 grain rounds (or lower) and I won't shoot many of those.

rock185

Hello Lohman, I have a S&W Airweight, and have handled the LCRs. Both fine little revolvers, and just personal preference between the two IMHO. Although I do like the 9MM option with the Rugers. The 9 in these little 2" guns displays more velocity, with similar bullet weights, than any 38 +P I've tested. In fact, perusing BBTI it doesn't appear the .357 is much, or any, advantage in the little 2"-3" guns with bullets ~125 grains and lighter. For instance, Federal 9MM 124 +P HST; 1195 FPS in my 2" S&W 940 revolver. I have an SP-101 too, but agree they are a bit heavy. That same 9MM 124 HST averages 1291 FPS in my 3" SP-101.

FWIW, I know there are many fine choices, but I just keep it simple. More often than not, I'll just have a little gun that never malfunctions and is simple to operate. One of the little revolvers......ymmv

Kwik2010

Dale A.

I wouldn't say a better man by any means. When I say accurate I mean "combat accurate", not pinpoint accurate. I can place a cylinder worth into an 8" circle before i start pushing the limit. And yes it's with only about a cylinder's worth of rounds before I start getting a little flinchy. But I'm also a glutton for punishment so I keep on shooting until I can't keep my shaking hand on target. I find the rubber grip to be more comfortable than any wood grips out there. I bought a set of the pachmayr g10 tactical grips and after 5 rounds of 357 magnum loads, the web of my palm was bloody. I'm not saying it's an easy gun to shoot but with practice and some pain tolerance, it can be a viable option.