• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Vote on your preference for Rifle forums

Which Rifle forum format do you prefer?

• A single forum like it was from the beginning

Votes: 76 33.6%
  • The three forums as they are now

Votes: 150 66.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal H

Staff
We have given the new format for the Rifle forums a fair chance for acceptance. Now it's time to decide if the new format (three separate rifle forums) is preferable to the original single forum. We want your opinion on this in the form of a vote.

You can, of course, comment on the formats, but it will be the vote that counts when making the final decision. We won't make that decision until a substantial number of members has voted one way or the other.

tahunua001

I'm kind of partial to the separate forums. the general forum handles a lot of the caliber debates while the bolt, lever and pump forum handles a lot of the target, distance and hunting typed questions that aren't applicable to the hunting forum and the semi forums can handle most of the AK vs AR, 22lr and home defense discussions. it makes it a lot easier to compartmentalize when I'm trying to zero in on a specific topic area.

So, I voted for reverting back to the prior format. I just didn't like the new format, but I couldn't really explain why, but just now I was clicking around, and figured it out...

I think that being separated by action type rather than use bugs me. For instance, posts about the Ruger GSR would fit right in with posts about an FN SCAR, and the Browning BAR would be right at home next to posts about the Remington 700.

I guess I will quantify my vote by saying that I feel the rifle forums would be better served by being separated by purpose, rather than action type. Otherwise, my vote remains for a unified, multipurpose single rifle format.

Rifles General - General questions, comments, and musings about rifles, without being able to be grouped into sporting/competition or hunting categories. Caliber wars, welcome!

Hunting Rifles - Fairly obvious, right? Caliber wars only quantified by meat destruction or game ineffectiveness allowed.

Sporting & Competition Rifles - Plinkers, Paper Pokers, Home/Self Defense, and eotw rifles go here. Caliber wars require one shot stop mentions, ballistics info, or ability to penetrate zombies without penetrating drywall.

:D

Ozzieman

I like the new format with the multiple selections for long guns.
My only suggestion would be for a separate rim fire section.
Good work.

Palmetto-Pride

I liked it before, but I can see where if you are not into ARs then it could be annoying with all the AR buzz. It does seem to move a little slower now though......:rolleyes:

Pathfinder45

More categories is better.

It helps to filter out what I'm not interested in. While I approve of your right to own an AR or AK or other tacticool c**p, I have no interest there.

Sodbuster

As someone who has been around almost from the beginning, I was comfy with the one, all-inclusive forum. I voted for the current, three-forum format. IOW don't get too comfortable. :)

We had a long discussion about how to separate the rifle sections. We even discussed separating them by purpose.

Problem is, one rifle can have multiple primary purposes, and it can change in a given day.

Separating by action type is definitive. Hunt with your AR? Plink with your AR? Target shoot with your AR? No problem, they all go in one section.

Action type is simple, definitive, and really not open to interpretation about where a post should go. It's not as if there are lever-bolt semi-auto breakaction singleshots out there.

I agree with separating the forum up due to overwhelming traffic, but I agree with what shoulder said. The way it is split now I just have to check all three, which doesn't simplify it one bit for me. Rimfire might be a nice split even if the current format is kept. Enforcing hunting more actively.

It isn;t a terrible set-up or anything though. I still hang around no matter the final decision.

rickyrick

Dang it ... I'm loosing.

I like the old way because I am isolated most of the day and checking 3 more forums is a pain in the butt on my phone.....and....I'm not gonna pay for tapalk ......Lol

Not going to happen.

To break the sections down by purpose would result in a far greater number of forums, likely with ever increasing calls for a new forum to cater to someones specific desires.

I could literally see a dozen or more forums being required to even scratch the surface of the reindeer games in which our members participate.

One of the primary goals of breaking the forums down was to make it easierfor members to track and find threads about their guns and interests while at the same time making it managable for staff to well... manage.

The greater the number of forums, the harder it is for staff to do the job Rich has asked us to do.

So sorry but it is not going to happen.

Last edited:

Spats McGee

Administrator
I like having the forums split by action. I don't spend a great deal of time in the Rifle sections, but this format lends itself to the way I tend to use the Rifles forum. To be precise, I tend to go on the hunt for posts or threads about a specific rifle, or class of rifles. I would add that a "Rimfire" section might be nice. Even though those could also fit into one of the other sections, I can see lots of shooters wanting to compare or read posts related to a variety of rimfires, without regard to action type.

Vectorsix

It helps to filter out what I'm not interested in. i'll stick to my Ar and AK..While I approve of your right to own bolt gun I have no interest there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.