Vote: J. Moses Browning or G. Glock

So, whos the greater genius for you and why?

• John Moses Browning

Votes: 200 93.9%
  • Gaston Glock

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters

roger-ruger

Debating on previous accounts on whats better the 1911 or Glock, lets take these two on a more different level.

So who's the greater genius, JOHN MOSES BROWNING or GASTON GLOCK? Vote and briefly explain your vote.

'75Scout

Gaston makes one gun that becomes truely a world class fighting pistol. But he is in no way near the genius of John Moses Browning. So many of his designs are still considered too good for the military to stop using them. And some are still gaining popularity to this day (1911). Sportsmen, hunters, military, police, and self defense minded citizens have all been influenced by Mr. Browning. Not everyone has been influenced by Gaston Glock.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I don't think it's a good comparison. Being a very successful businessman is very different from being a design genius.

One is the father of modern firearms while the other is an innovative manufacturer.

STAGE 2

As a designer JMB wins hands down. You have to remember that he made the 1911 in 1911. That is innovation pure and simple. Gaston makes a great product but he did so standing on the shoulders of giants to borrow a phrase.

Furthermore, think of the hi-power, brownings shotguns, ma deuce, the BAR, and his other machine guns and the contest isn't even close.

The glock is a great gun, but from a gun designer perspective, JMB is king.

abarth

Ok I know Who John M Browning is. Inventor of 1911, HiPower, BAR, 30cal machine gun, M2 50cal machine gun, most ACP cartridges and many more. Now who is this Gaston Glock guy? Oh yeah his company invented plastic guns, no wait HK was the first company to produce polymer pistol. Ok so why are we comparing a this guy to a genius.

Baba Louie

So far the poll shows just about what I figured.

JMB was a genius at firearm design, be they single shot, lever action, pump, semi auto, full auto, rifle, smoothbore or handgun.

GG bankrolled a pretty good European team of designers and marketing guys (Jack Anderson helping out a little as well) for his one trick pony show w/ minor variations, shower curtain rods not withstanding.

Now if you're limiting design to a sole object, i.e., 1911 (an evolutionary process unto itself if the patent dates mean anything) vs. G17 format... I'd still have to vote JMB. Even tho' Colt's designers played some part (not to mention the US Army Ordnance Bd.), they looked to him to solve the problem at hand and sell his design against the traditional revolving cylinder handgun design that Sam Colt made famous; something GG never came up against. Not to mention cartridge design for the handguns in question (various acp rds. vs a sole GAP cartridge to date).

Nothing wrong with either design. Each broke with (a) tradition or two and marketed their product as well as possible. Each passed stringent military acceptance testing.

One paved the way for the other(s) in a manner of thinking.

But maybe GG's designers aren't done yet. They MIGHT come up with some revolutionary concepts yet. I'm not holding my breath waiting tho'.

You might compare John Moses to Paul Mauser... but then again, you might not.

Bu whadda I know?

kgpcr

To mention both in the same sentence is blasphemy!!! Lets see how Glocks are doing 100 yrs from now. The .45 acp is 100 yrs old and one of the most popular out there. Lets see how the Crap opps Gap is doing in 100yrs

K80Geoff

OK....helmet...flak jacket...flame retardent suit..

Gaston Glock designed nothing. His gun copied Brownings action and redesigned it to use modern materials. Glocks are nothing but updated 1911 actions. If fact most modern automatics are variations of Brownings action.

Dave R

In addition to all the above, how many cartridges did G. Glock design?

Browning designed a number of cartridges, in addition to his many firearms designs.

.45acp, .380acp (which is still called 9mm Browning is some countries,) and .50BMG, among others.