Vortex vs. Phantom?

Kaylee

How do these flash suppressors stack up against each other? Has anyone used both enough to get a comparison?

Does the Phantom suppress flash as well as the Vortex?
Is the open-ended Vortex as durable as the Phantom?

And finally.. would a snap-ring or wire or som'n around the mouth of the vortex solve the snag potential problem without adversely (measurably) affecting accuracy?

-K

BusGunner007

I believe the Phantom, too, has been changed.
It no longer has the mini-forks on it, and it has an extra (5th) slot in it, I think.
I'll keep my old Vortex for a while and see if it 'forks out'.:rolleyes:

Will someone answer the question of wrapping the end with wire?
I'd like to know if that's an option and what would be used that wouldn't get gas sliced off.

Onslaught

I have absolutely no experience with the Vortex, but my Bushy 14.5" has the original forked Phantom. I LOVE this thing. NO flash whatsoever.... I mean, I'm sure there's a little, but as the shooter, I can't see any, even at dusk. Haven't fired it in Pitch dark, but it's much better than the old 5.5" on my CAR or the MilSpec one.

I'm disappointed about the change... I really liked the menacing look of the Phantom. Mine looks awesome attached to the end of my fluted barrel. Very original.

Onslaught

Forgot to mention...

I had VERY rude customer service from Smith Enterprises over their 30mm QD rings... They still weren't tall enough for my needs, so I politely asked for a refund (minus s&h of course).

Guy basically told me that, it was their view at S.E. that the customers are adults, and they have to look out for themselves. He said the specs were listed right on the website, and I shoulda measured before I bought. It was less than 1/4" too low, how the hell can I measure 1/4" to the center of imaginary rings I don't yet have???

He then tried to sell me his "new" riser mount. He said it's a brand new Picatinny rail that goes over the entire top of a Flat Top AR and raises the scope height. I said "Oh, like the GG&G and ARMS mounts?" His reply? "Uh, NO, theirs are like ours".

This was like 6 months ago??? I'm FAIRLY certain I've owned an ARMS SWAN sleeve for a TINY bit more than 6 months...

I won't be dealing with them again regardless.

Kaylee

so who manufactures the Phantom? Heck, I never knew Smith made the Vortex. learn somethin' new every day I guess.

Is the Phantom available only for ARs, or is there an M1A/M14 version in the works?

-K

JIH

I had VERY rude customer service from Smith Enterprises over their 30mm QD rings... They still weren't tall enough for my needs, so I politely asked for a refund (minus s&h of course).

Guy basically told me that, it was their view at S.E. that the customers are adults, and they have to look out for themselves.
The phrase "let the buyer beware" was coined by someone bleeding from the rectum.

fed168

I had a Vortex installed about three years ago, and after a bunch of shooting, no problems with it as mentioned in the other thread. my next thought is to put a Phantom on the new AR, haven't made up my mind yet.
BTW, if you do weapon retention drills with a Vortex, wear good gloves. Grabbing it is like grabbing barbed wire.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I've got an AWC Optima Flash Eliminator on my AR. :D ;) (also has the additional effect of suppressing the muzzle blast) Length is a tad longer then Flash Suppressors out there, but I can live with that.

Onslaught

so who manufactures the Phantom? Heck, I never knew Smith made the Vortex. learn somethin' new every day I guess.

The Phantom is made by Yankee Hill, the same people who supply a lot of the parts for the ZM Weapons System.

Yankee Hill is also responsible for most of the accessory parts that Bushmaster puts it's name on... The mini-risers, Triple Mount, and the entire line of "Bushmaster Modular Accessories System" accessories are YH products.

Smith is the Patentented manufacturer of the "Sommers Vortex"... but there are SCORES of copies.