Vortex Viper 6x24x50 HS

roc1

Will this particular scope with only 42moa of adjustment work for 1000 yards? I got it on sale at Cabelas I have same scope on 6.5 Creedmoor works great at 500 yards but would like to go to 1000 if I can find a range to shoot that far. I know can get 20 moa EGW base but curious if scope would work ok or need to move up to Viper HST with 65moa
Thanks
Roc1

Is it 42 up and 42 down or 42 total, meaning 21 up and 21 down?

If it's the latter, no, it won't get you to 1000 without a canted base.
6.5 creed shooting 140gr pills will be +/- 34 moa of drop at 1000 yds with a 100yd zero. The viper hst may be close, but it's better to get a canted base than to be near or at mechanical limits of the scope adjustment.

roc1

42 total on HS 65 Moa on HST. Hst be better but canted base will work on Hs since it is only 42?
Thanks

I recently had to make the same decision and I choose 65MOA adj.

I've got the Vortex 6.5-20x44 (65MOA Adj).....and added a 20MOA base and it is good for 1 mile + with my 7mag.

It is hard to answer your question without knowing the gun as well. Are you shooting a .223 or a 300 WM? At ELR the different can be a couple hundred inches of drop.

But at 1k yards....and a 20MOA base, most scopes can probably do it.

roc1

I kept both scopes put HST on 6BR and HS on 243 also have HS on 6.5 Creed for now.
Thanks for help
Roc1

flashhole

I hope yours is working out for you.

I'm in a similar boat, trying to choose a scope.

I've looked at the Vortex but haven's pushed the believe button yet.

Weaver Super Slam, Nikon X1000 and Burris Veracity are the ones I'm contemplating. Did you investigate First Focal Plane vs. Second Focal Plane?

For what it's worth, I had a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 (higher end model than the normal viper, viper hs and viper hst), on a savage model 12 LRP, then bought another rifle that needed a scopeand went with the Burris Veracity 5-20x50. I still have the Burris... brighter and clearer than the vortex.

ed308

For anyone looking at Vortex scopes, Optics Planet has some of them on sale for the 4th. Use code VX12 for 12% off. I pulled the trigger on the Razor HD.