Vortex Long Range options./

Venom1956

So i looked at the VIPER PST normal and FFP and while I expected to really prefer the FFP i found the reticule got MASSIVE on the FFP to the point that i felt accuracy would suffer. Does anyone have any alternatives or suggestions on what they like to use It doesnt need to be vortex at all just looking for new ideas

AllenJ

FFP has both pros and cons, you need to decide if the cons outweigh the pros. Yes, the reticle does grow in size and if you're shooting very small targets at very long ranges what you state can become a factor. The best LR shooter I know prefers SFP for just that reason.

The Viper PST is a good scope, I consider it the best "entry level" LR scope on the market. They packed a lot features into them for a very good price. You could look at some of the newer Bushnell's, they are making some really nice tactical scopes now and they seem to be backing them with an excellent warrant.

tobnpr

FFP serves no useful purpose- IMO- where ranging is not required.

As you found out, the reticle may obscure small targets at long range making aiming difficult.

Aim small, miss small...

If you're shooting target/steel at know ranges, SFP is the better choice.

Venom1956

Yeah I thought the ranging element and having consistent marks for closer/further range shots would be convenient. Ie @ 100yrds aim one moa low or @ 400 aim two high regardless of magnification.

I agree about the viper it's a fantastic package for the price. I've been really turning into a vortex fan boy but they've been coming out with great stuff. I'm a huge fan of the spitfire line better then any RDS imo. I just grabbed a nice crossfire II 1-4x for a 45 70 marlin guide looks works fantastic. For the price you couldn't beat it.

Luckily there's a vortex show room not to far from here maybe I'll go check everything out. I'm scared to even thing about looking at razors.

That said no other scopes made by others in this price range that I'm missing out on?

supercub99

I have both a Viper PST and a Night Force NF Precision Benchrest. The Viper has the Mrad and the NF has .125 moa recital.
Between the two, I would say the NF is more to my liking but Viper is a very close second. You can't go wrong with either however those I am familiar with, there are others out there that may be as good or.....

Venom1956

Oh i see that the 2nd reticle offered in the PST might be perfect. It has an open center for the cross hair
sub_pst_f_6-24x50_ebr2c_mrad-t.jpg