Voere 30.06; any comments?

PolarFBear

I am a hand gunner with the requisite AR-15 (Colt), Mini-14 and a couple of Mossburgs thrown in. But, I have a hankering to own a bolt gun. I am NOT a hunter. I found a scoped (forgot the name but it looked good) VOERE in 30.06; price $499. Bluing looks excellent, bolt works well, the hinged floor plate operated easily; wood finish was only marred on the left side in a small area. It seems to really catch my fancy; but I have no experience nor can I find any information on the Voere company other than it is Austrian. Positive AND negative inputs are welcomed. I had first given thought to a Remington BDL in .308.

skizzums

If not a hunter, i have to ask why the caliber choice? Other than that, they sound like solid rifles built on a Mauser 98 action. A google search shows many happy customers that give high marks for accuracy. Lots of forum threads on the brand

PolarFBear

Skizzims, Why 30.06? Because that is what it is chambered in. My preference would be .308. Do I NEED a bolt action rifle? Heck no. Probably will only fire it 50 times in my (remaining) lifetime. But, my 64th birthday is Thursday and I'm "looking around". Thanks for the steer to Google. I always forget about Google.

tango1niner

They were imported into this country in the 60's and appear to be well made. Receivers are drilled and tapped for scope bases and some had metric threads. Calling about the country I was unable to find a proper scope base screw. I called the original importer of the rifle and was given a lead which turned into a dead end. I ended up using a flathead screw with good results. Screw size was M4X.7 if I remember correctly. Recievers are pretty hard so retapping to another size is not an option.

Nice fairly light rifle, accuracy was good with factory ammo.

With no place for service and being metric I would buy American. You could probably get a nice Savage model 11 in a caliber you like for less $$.

natman

Not enough information yet. Some Voeres made on Mauser 98 actions go for $500. Others cost a good deal more. Most Voeres are very well made.

It's like saying there's a Chevrolet for sale for a $1000 dollars, is that a good price? It depends if its a new Corvette or a 74 Vega.

SIGSHR

That is a good point that it can be hard to find replacement parts for a rifle imported in only very small numbers. Forget what I paid for mine-over 20 years ago-but it wasn't that much, but for ease of replacement parts, scope rings etc. a Remington or Savage is a better choice.

gman3

I came across a similar deal on a Husqvarna .30-06 on a FN commercial Mauser 98 action. I did have to do a few things to it, but it shoots great. It turned out to be an extremely accurate rifle for $350. Also, what's not to like about .30-06? Ammo is easy to find, if you hand load, its about as versatile as rifle cartridges come, and it hits hard. Sometimes on both ends.

RC20

I say BUY IT!

Ok, first I love the 30-06. Not a cartridge out there that can do what it does from 110 varmint on uyp to 220 gr to penetrate a grizzly hid (ok, some hyperbole there but a lot more grizzlies taken by 30-06 than ever taken by the magnums, in Alaska , they were pest and the gun of choice in Alaska for a whole lot of years was the ubiquitous 30-06, keeping in mind we were just day in day out frontier livers not trophy hunters though a few wandered through from time to time

Fun caliber, upper end of what you want to shoot a lot but limbsaver and the like tames that nicely.

And I have yet to need parts for a bolt action rifle. If you are going to shoot it 50 times, you have thousands of open rounds left. I don't see that as a problem as long as its in good shape. Buy a new snap cap and be sure it has good look on the primer before you buy and or get a contingent from the dealer that its shoots or it gets returned.

Your 64(you've hopefully paid your dues and saved up a little money to enjoy).
You like the looks of the rifle(If you have the money to spend all the justification you need).
You aren't using it to hunt(caliber irrelevant).
You only plan to shoot it about 50 times during the span you own it(ammo cost irrelevant).
Why are we still talking about this.

Please post pics when you get it home.