Visiting Florida in January...Update on Non-Resident CCW?

My employer is sending me to Florida for a couple of weeks at the end of January.

I'd like to know if there's any updated laws in place about a non-resident getting a CCW for Florida. I'm currently an Iowa resident, but due to our anti-gun sherrif I currently do not have my permit.

From what I understand, Florida is pretty lenient on out of state reciprosity. However, in my case, is there a bump in the road? Also, is the process painless enough that I can get it issued to me in time for my trip?

I looked over your links and it looks like I have to go down to Florida in order to submit my fingerprints. It claims any LE agency can be used, but always implies any of the 67 counties in Florida.

Is it acceptable to get my fingerprints done on a hard card here in Iowa and then send it in?

sholling

I got mine without leaving California. All you need is a class and fingerprints. The fingerprints can be done at any police or sheriff's station.

Sevens

Good news and bad news. Bad news first-- no way you have your non-resident Florida carry permit by January. No way. Sorry.

Good news-- you can certainly get it, and with it, you'll be able to carry in many places across the country. Check handgunlaws.us for an idea of where your permit will be valid. Note that there are a couple of states that honor a Florida permit, but only for Florida residents-- or, to put it another way, they honor a Florida permit but they don't honor a Florida NON-RESIDENT permit.

For you to get your Florida non-resident permit, you will have to attend some kind of safety training and forward a copy of that certificate. I wish I could be more specific, but all I know is that the training required by my state (Ohio) is sufficient, so I forwarded that certificate.

You can be fingerprinted at any place that does this with a standard fingerprint card, but it must also be notarized. That can get sticky.

You also need to send those items along with a passport size photo and the fee for the license which is steep-- $117 currently. The instructions say that you can save a heap if you send fingerprints electronically, but if anyone can figure out how to get local law enforcement to agree to do that for you, I'd like to hear about it. Seems to me that you'd need a relative working for the local police with the equipment to make that happen.

Then there is the long back-up at the Florida Dept of Ag which handles the licensing. Mine took more than sixty days from the date they cashed my check. It's not a lengthy process or a set waiting period, it's simply backed up because of the (relatively) easy nature of getting one and the popularity of getting one considering how many other states recognize it. Also, the recent election has probably made it even MORE popular.

You can get it, and I highly recommend that you get it, but I can't see you scheduling training, doing the class, getting the finger prints (notarized) and only then getting yourself to the end of the line... and yet get a hold of it before the end of January. I just don't see that as possible.

But still, do it! The license is good for 7 full years.

Thanks, fellas.

You can do the whole thing by mail. You may get it in time mine took 90 days.

That's the problem. I was just told the other day by my boss that I'm heading to Florida. Problem is the school is at the end of Jan. That's only 60 days from now. With the apparent backlog, I might be SOL.

Good news and bad news. Bad news first-- no way you have your non-resident Florida carry permit by January. No way. Sorry

That's OK. It stinks, but OK. I rather hear the truth than sending that much money NON-refundable and not be able to CCW while I'm there.

Good news-- you can certainly get it, and with it, you'll be able to carry in many places across the country. Check handgunlaws.us for an idea of where your permit will be valid. Note that there are a couple of states that honor a Florida permit, but only for Florida residents-- or, to put it another way, they honor a Florida permit but they don't honor a Florida NON-RESIDENT permit.

This got me to thinkin'....I have family in Michigan that we visit frequently. I might look into getting a Michigan non-resident permit (if they allow it). If after checking into the laws, this may be a better way to go. It won't help to have it on my trip in Jan. But, it may for future ones...

Now, I need to start researching at another angle....hmmmm...

lockedcj7

According to this page MI doesn't honor the FL non-resident permit. Don't know how difficult it is to get a MI non-res permit.

I say, go ahead and get it anyway. There are lots of states where it is honored and then you'll have it. You also might get lucky with the time-line and it arrives before your trip. I got mine because there are some states in the SE that don't honor the SC permit, but they do honor the FL non-res. permit. Now I don't have to worry about unloading and storing in the trunk when I cross state lines in much of the country. I generally only drive or fly (private plane) around the SE, so I'm covered pretty much everywhere I go.

Last edited:

Sevens

There are actually not all that many states that issue non-resident permits. I know there is one out west closer to you... is it Oregon or Utah? The Florida permit is very popular because it's relatively easy to get and it's valid in a lot of places. But for sure, that website gives you a lot of information.

Permits and reciprocity are funny things. My bro in law is a Michigan resident as has the Michigan CCW. I am an Ohio resident with the Ohio CHL. Either of us can carry in the other's state. But his MI CCW allows him to carry in a lot of states that don't recognize my Ohio CHL. With my Florida added, I can carry every where that he can, and I think one more state. If he added the Florida to go along with his MI CCW, he would only add like one state (currently.) So it's not worth it for him, but quite important for me.

The Florida non-resident is a very necessary thing for me. It adds PA for me and also adds many south eastern states that I travel to/through every single year on my motorcycle trips.

I have no idea about your state, but check you state laws with regards to where you MUST apply for your carry permit. In Ohio, you can apply at the Sheriff of your county or any contiguous county. If it's that way for you, then it won't matter if your local Sheriff is a tool, you might be able to try another one.

These improvements in concealed carry laws have been sweeping the nation since about the year 2000. There are now 47 states that issue some form of permit. Vermont doesn't issue one because concealed carry is legal with no permit in Vermont. (that makes it sticky for Vermont citizens who wish to carry out of state because there is no reciprocity for a state with no license!) There are two states where there is no ability for citizens to legally carry concealed-- Wisconsin and Illinois. And some states are very restrictive with regards to permits, but they still have some form of them.

The best states are called "Shall Issue" and that means that you needn't produce any reason to want to carry, rather they need a lawful reason to deny you a permit. The website should tell you which state are "Shall Issue." If you live in a shall issue state and your Sheriff won't give you a permit but you have no record or other issues, you should take that up with a higher court and/or a lawyer.

Don't let the poor timing discourage you from the pursuit of this permit. It's important for you and the simple fact is-- it's important for ME! If you exercise your right, that benefits myself and others like me. More Americans standing up to be counted. Another law-abiding citizen adding to a good statistic... an upstanding, law abiding person who elects to gain the permit to carry. If every decent shoot and gun owner did this (even if they decided that they didn't wish to carry on their person) it would add to the collective data. More folks exercising their rights... a larger voice.

Stick with it! :)

There are actually not all that many states that issue non-resident permits. I know there is one out west closer to you... is it Oregon or Utah?

Actually, they're waaay over on the west coast. Florida technically speaking is closer miles wise.

I have no idea about your state, but check you state laws with regards to where you MUST apply for your carry permit.

I talked to the county sheriff's dept a few years ago when I moved here and I must apply in the county I reside in. We're a may-issue state that gives power to the sheriff. Although he's a Republican, you're SOL unless your job requires you to carry $500 or more on a regular basis. He won't issue one otherwise. Kinda pathetic that protecting $500 for a company I could work for is worth more than my life.

Don't let the poor timing discourage you from the pursuit of this permit. It's important for you and the simple fact is-- it's important for ME! If you exercise your right, that benefits myself and others like me. More Americans standing up to be counted. Another law-abiding citizen adding to a good statistic... an upstanding, law abiding person who elects to gain the permit to carry. If every decent shoot and gun owner did this (even if they decided that they didn't wish to carry on their person) it would add to the collective data. More folks exercising their rights... a larger voice.

I agree with your viewpoint. If I don't now, I will in the near future. I've been reasoning with myself if it's worth the time and money for "just a non-resident" permit or not. I think it goes much deeper than a few bucks.

I say, go ahead and get it anyway. There are lots of states where it is honored and then you'll have it. You also might get lucky with the time-line and it arrives before your trip.

You're right, locked. If I didn't him-haw around a few years ago and just got it when I could, I don't think I'd be in this mess that I'm in now...

Sevens

>>There are actually not all that many states that issue non-resident permits. I know there is one out west closer to you... is it Oregon or Utah?
Actually, they're waaay over on the west coast. Florida technically speaking is closer miles wise.

I should have been a little more clear with my intent. I mean, they are closer to YOU in Iowa than they are to me in Ohio! Heck yeah, they are quite a ways out there. :) I'm planning a trip to Florida for a wedding next summer and I ran the map out... it's a thousand miles. Was at a wedding in South Dakota just this past August-- from here, THAT was a thousand miles. Who would have figured?!

Dewhitewolf

Just to clarify, it is the Florida Concealed Firearm License Application that needs to be notarized, not the fingerprint card. The fingerprint card MUST be filled out by a law enforcement officer (any police officer will do, it does not have to be your town or even your state).

The application needs to be notarized--that is simply to prove that the person who filled out the application is who they say they are. So be sure to bring plenty of valid identification with you when you present your application to the notary public. Again, the notary does not have to be from your state, as long as the notary is in whatever state they are authorized to perform notary services.