Virus hoaxes (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James K

Member In Memoriam
This is Off Topic, but this forum seems to be a very popular one, so I'll post it here, though the adminstrator may move it.

There are e-mails going around telling people that there is a virus that is undetectable and that they must delete a file to prevent damage.

Here is what Norton says about the files involved in two known hoaxes which inform the recipient that a legitimate file is a dangerous virus, undetectable by either McAfee or Norton, and to delete it.

Sulfnbk.exe

"Sulfnbk.exe is a Windows utility that is used to restore long file names. This utility is not required to run Windows, but it is necessary if you need to restore long files names if they become damaged or corrupted."

Jdbgmgr.exe

"This is a hoax that, like the above, tries to persuade you to delete a legitimate Windows file from your computer. The file that the hoax refers to, Jdbgmgr.exe, is a Java Debugger Manager. It is a Microsoft file that is installed when you install Windows. It has a teddy bear icon as described in the hoax."

So deleting these would likely have no noticeable effect on the ordinary user. However, there are some files that, if deleted, would cause no immediate apparent harm, but once shut down, the system would never come up again without a complete reload from the CD. So, be very careful before you delete anything based on an e-mail message, even one purporting to come from McAfee or Norton. Always check on their web sites or by phone.

Jim

Mal H

Staff
Your implied assumption is right, Jim. This is in the wrong forum since it has zilch to do with handguns. If I moved it to the General Discussion forum, it would be soon closed for the same reason I must close it here and you stated that reason in your first sentence in the post. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.