Virginian Dragoon Help Needed

Big Cabin

I just bought an older Dragoon, .44 Mag. It needs new grips and a blade for the rear sight. It has a groove just in front of the sight which makes it look like the revolver could be used either with the adjustable rear or the groove.

Does anyone out there own one that can tell me something about it. Any help or resources for parts would also be greatly appreciated.
The gun, while having some blue worn off, shoots extremely well and has a great trigger.
Thanks,
Dana

RJay

They took their standard gun and milled them for adjustable rear sights, so yes they would have the groove. You may be able to make the rear site blade yourself from thin white plastic. I made them for both a single six and a blackhawk. Your gun was imported by InterArms. Made in Switzerland by Hammerli at first then later ( I want to say after 1968, but I'm not sure) parts were shiped here and they were assembled in the US. They were discontinued in 1984. I don't know about US assembled guns but the Swiss build were excellent. Grips may be a problem, they are not Colt clones. you might try < gunpartsinc.com> Hope that helps

Mad Cow

Here's pictures of my Dragoon the rear sight.

Attachments

• 123-2354_IMG.JPG
    123-2354_IMG.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 123-2355_IMG.JPG
    123-2355_IMG.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 137
  • 123-2356_IMG.JPG
    123-2356_IMG.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 123

MUZZLELOADER.45

Virginian Dragoon

i DID NOT KNOW THAT THE BIG FRAME .44 WAS MADE BY HAMMERLI. I HAVE A SMALLER .357 MAG. VIRGINIAN, SOLD BY INTERARMS. IT IS A BEAUTIFULLY MADE FIREARM. THE ONLY PROBLEM IT DOES NOT SHOOT TO POINT OF AIM FOR ME. NON-ADJUSTIBLE SIGHTS. SORRY I CANT HELP YOU. BUT I DONT RUN INTO OWNERS OF THE HAMMERLIS THAT OFTEN AND JUST HAD TO MENTION MINE:) :)

Big Cabin

Thanks guys. A friend of mine bought four blades at a pawn shop, one of which fit. It appears that the blades are a universal fit in many guns. I found some grips as well on eBay. While they are not wood they are an ivory look alike and with a little fitting should work fine.

So far, with the new blade it shoots a little high and to the right which I will correct. But basically, it is a great gun. The finish, while some what worn in places, is great and the workman ship is superb. Heck, for $200 I couldn't pass it up. It will be a great camp and insurance gun. With it's HUGE frame, it should handle any load any .44Mag fan can dream up.
Thanks,
Dana

Big Cabin

Thanks guys. A friend of mine bought four blades at a pawn shop, one of which fit. It appears that the blades are a universal fit in many guns. I found some grips as well on eBay. While they are not wood they are an ivory look alike and with a little fitting should work fine.

So far, with the new blade it shoots a little high and to the right which I will correct. But basically, it is a great gun. The finish, while some what worn in places, is great and the workman ship is superb. Heck, for $200 I couldn't pass it up. It will be a great camp and insurance gun. With it's HUGE frame, it should handle any load any .44Mag fan can dream up.
Thanks,
Dana

Millbilly

I had a dragoon 44 mag back when they first came out. the biggest problum with them was the sights flying off and the screws comming loose after you shot it a few times. After puting on several rear blades I found the cure.................I traded it for a Super Blackhawk

litework

My aunt and uncle worked at the Interarms manufacturing facility in Midland, Virginia. That's where they met :) They made Virginia Dragoon pistols, starting with the .44 magnum.The Midlands facility was the only true manufacturing facility that Interarms had; Interarms was, for the most part, an importer. I interviewed my aunt when I learned of this thread and will get with my uncle a little later on. He was more involved with the production of cylinders. From what I gather, the barrels were completely manufactured from raw materials. I'll need to talk to my uncle to find out about other components. I made a general inquiry about this not too long ago, and my uncle said that they manufactured pistols from scratch.

There was a huge fire in the late 70’s that nearly closed the facility. They remained open until around 1984.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to pass them along.

Big Cabin

Wow, what a resource they must be. I know that for some time the Dragoons were manufactured in Switzerland. After that, most of the parts were made there and assembled in the U.S. The ended production in 1984.
I would be interested to know what your uncles opinion was on quality.
It appears that the fit and finish of mine, while some what worn, was of the highest quality.
The polish and blueing, on the parts that still have alot, was excellent. The trigger is as good as any I have EVER had on a pistol. The frame is huge and meant to take as beefy a load as a shooter could stuff into it.....at least it seems that way.
I would love to hear what else they have to say.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will look forward to the next one.

litework

I'll give my uncle a call this weekend. I'm not sure if my aunt and uncle worked there from the facility's inception to the end, though my aunt implied that she did. When I talked to her, she said that when they first started they experienced a lot of quality control issues but improvements were made in the processes and the product as a whole. She was involved in heat treating and inspection of the barrels and a few other things.

BTW, I think every member of my family has a variant of the Virginia Dragoon as a result of those two. My mother bought a "Don't Tread on Me" Virginia Dragoon in .357 Magnum, and I think it is an excellent firearm with regards to fit and function.