Viper Vortex vs. Nightforce SHV

Charles S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viper Vortex 4-16X50 mm HS LR FFP MOA reticle vs Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 30 MOA

I am looking for a new scope for an ongoing rifle build. The title says it all.

Build Remington 700 blueprinted action with a Proof Research barrel (1:9 twist) in an AG Composites stock.

Caliber 280 AI

Build weight ~7#

The primary purpose is a long range hunting rifle (defined as shots of no more than 450 yards in field conditions) that is easy to carry and easy to hunt with. The secondary purpose is ringing steel and punching paper to 1000 plus yards.

Scope budget ~$1500

I am currently using two Viper Long Range scopes, the 4-16X50 and the 6-24X50 on a 308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I am happy with them, but the Nightforce has caught my eye. The only real downside of the nightforce is the weight (30 oz). I am not happy about that and I really don’t need the illuminated reticle (at least I never have felt the need for it).

I would appreciate everyone’s thoughts: Am I missing any other good options in that price range?

I would prefer to stick with a MOA setup. Not that I cannot do Mil Rad, but I prefer to stick with MOA. I want first focal plane for this rifle. I really don’t want an objective bigger than 50.

Thank everyone for your thoughts.

FiveInADime

I picked up a SFP Viper PST 6-24x MOA for $450 recently. For the money gap between it and a Nightclub SHV, I would choose the Viper every time. Now, full-retail, a FFP Viper HS-LR it's not as good of a value but still, it's lighter, dials accurately, has a nice reticle, and it's tough enough for almost any use.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Saltydog235

The NF hands down. I own the F1, my buddy had the Vortex. We did side by side comparisons on numerous days in different conditions. It really wasn't much of a contest. He sold his Vortex and bought the F1.

Both track well, the glass in the NF is better, the NF is better in low light and the reticle and illumination is better in the NF. His Viper didn't have a Zerostop, the NF did.

AllenJ

I've not had the pleasure to use or even handle the Nightforce but I do own a Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP. My thoughts on it are nice scope for the money, good but not great clarity, adjustments have been spot on every time so far, and overall I'm satisfied with it. At the time I purchased it I believe it was the best deal but that was before Nightforce introduced the SHV.

Charles S

FiveInADime,

I agree that Viper optics are a great value. I have two rifle scope and really want another. I also have some Viper binoculars that are great and my next spotting Scope will be the Viper Vortex with the angled eyepiece. My problem is that once I go to first focal plane (FFP) there really is not a big price gap. It certainly is not big enough for me (on this build) to worry about. I am more concerned with the best optic with all the features I want. I really want first focal plane and an exposed elevation turret with zero stop (which rules out the Viper Razer HD LW Hunter).

The NF hands down. I own the F1, my buddy had the Vortex. We did side by side comparisons on numerous days in different conditions. It really wasn't much of a contest. He sold his Vortex and bought the F1.

Both track well, the glass in the NF is better, the NF is better in low light and the reticle and illumination is better in the NF. His Viper didn't have a Zerostop, the NF did.

Saltydog235, thank you for the feedback. I am very interested in optical quality. I have looked through and shot the NSX, but have not shot the SHV. I am happy with the Viper Vortex HD FFP, but better is always - better :)

AllenJ, I am in the same boat. Actually both of my Viper Vortex HD LR FFP were great values and are much more expensive scopes now, than when I purchased them. The SHV was not available at the time, but is now... thus the question.

Thank you all for your help. I look forward to any additional input.

FiveInADime

FiveInADime,

I agree that Viper optics are a great value. I have two rifle scope and really want another. I also have some Viper binoculars that are great and my next spotting Scope will be the Viper Vortex with the angled eyepiece. My problem is that once I go to first focal plane (FFP) there really is not a big price gap. It certainly is not big enough for me (on this build) to worry about. I am more concerned with the best optic with all the features I want. I really want first focal plane and an exposed elevation turret with zero stop (which rules out the Viper Razer HD LW Hunter).

I started off with my last post thinking I was going to make that point and I posted it before I added it in. A full-price, FFP Viper PST/HS-LR isn't that much cheaper in the grand scheme than the Nightclub SHV scopes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Saltydog235

Charles, I should have added that I also have an NXS 5.5X20X50 MOAR-T. Glass in the SHV F1 is virtually the same as the NXS. The build of the scopes is the big difference. The NXS is a M1 Abrahms, the SHV is more like a Bradley and the Vortex like a pickup truck maybe a Humvee.

Rancid

Great post as I'm in the same boat....looking at both the PST and the F1. I have a Burris XTR II 5-25X50 and it is a pretty nice scope. It has a great zero stop too. I haven't had a chance to hold an F1 and probably never will. So if I decide to go that route I have to order and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just wait and see how this turns out. ;)

reynolds357

Leupold has several scopes in the Mark 4 lineup that would fill the bill. Vortex is good glass, but it does not yet impress me to the point I would consider it to be premium glass, especially in the Viper line. I own several Night Force scopes. I have a good friend who could until recently get them for me cheap. They are good glass, but not worth nearly the street price on them. Some of the guys I shoot with have put down their Nightforce scopes and replaced them with the Sightron SIII first focal plane scopes.

ms6852

I personally like the Sightron long range scopes in 6-24X50, great scopes 100 MOA of elevation and the H reticle.

tahunua001

you are comparing a $600 scope to a $1300 scope. the nightforce may be a way better scope but price does factor in. I think the OP needs to consider what his budget is and find multiple scopes in the same range. a fellow might as well ask which was a better rifle, the Mosin Nagant or the M1 Garand.

Charles S

Charles, I should have added that I also have an NXS 5.5X20X50 MOAR-T. Glass in the SHV F1 is virtually the same as the NXS. The build of the scopes is the big difference. The NXS is a M1 Abrahms, the SHV is more like a Bradley and the Vortex like a pickup truck maybe a Humvee.

Thanks, that is the kind of information I am looking for.

Leupold has several scopes in the Mark 4 lineup that would fill the bill. Vortex is good glass, but it does not yet impress me to the point I would consider it to be premium glass, especially in the Viper line.

Leupold does indeed in the FFP Mark 4 4.5-14X50, and they are FFP and within my price range. The weight is great and I have great experience with Leupold. However, they are all based upon the Mil dot system and I would prefer to stay with an MOA system.

ms6852

I like Sightron, and have great experience with them too, but they only FFP scope they make is not in the power range I am looking for.

you are comparing a $600 scope to a $1300 scope. the nightforce may be a way better scope but price does factor in. I think the OP needs to consider what his budget is and find multiple scopes in the same range. a fellow might as well ask which was a better rifle, the Mosin Nagant or the M1 Garand.

Really! If you can find the 4-16X50 Viper HD LR FFP for $600 dollars show me and I will purchase several. I am comparing a $950 dollar scope with the features I want to a $1250 dollar scope with the features I want, but it has an illuminated reticle that I don't want or need and it is heavier.

One of my question really is: is the step up on glass worth it.

tahunua001,

I stated my budget.

Am I missing any other good options in that price range?

If you know of any other scopes in the 3-4.5 by 15-18 power range with a 50 mm objective, FFP MOA reticle with a stated budget of $1500 and preferably under 2# weight I would love to hear your contribution to the discussion. Maybe you should read the initial thread in its entirety.

tahunua001

google is your friend in this case. the MSRP on the Vortex Viper 4-16x50 is $750 and can easily be found for less than that.

are you sure you're not looking at the Vortex Razor scopes? the vortex viper in your selected zoom level is only available with BDC reticules and has HS(whater that stands for I don't keep up on all the glass buzzwords). the razors on the other hand have the HD and MOA reticules.

Charles S

google is your friend in this case. the MSRP on the Vortex Viper 4-16x50 is $750 and can easily be found for less than that.

Sure I can find a Vortex Viper for less than $650. Find me a 4-14X50 mm Vortex Viper HS LR FFP MOA reticle for that. The key is First Focal Plane (FFP)

the vortex viper in your selected zoom level is only available with BDC reticules

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/viper-hs-lr-4-16x50-ffp-with-xlr-moa-reticle

google is your friend in this case
:)

Charles S

OK here you go, not quite $600 but still barely over half the cost of the Nightforce.
http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-.../dp/B00794K140

the point still stands, comparing a Dodge Viper to a Lamborghini Diablo. both are awesome cars, but one is obviously in a higher class and price range. if you have a budget for the nightforce then get it.

tahunua001,

Sigh, I don't know if you don't understand the questions or don't know the answer and are just rambling.

If I wanted to split hairs:

you are comparing a $600 scope
Well you found one for $700 + shipping not the a fore mentioned $600.

over half the cost of the Nightforce

the point still stands, comparing a Dodge Viper to a Lamborghini Diablo. both are awesome cars, but one is obviously in a higher class and price range. if you have a budget for the nightforce then get it.

I can afford the Nightforce. I am putting a Vortex Razor HD on another build, but I did not get to where I can afford a Nightforce of a Razor by purchasing Lamborghini as a daily driver or to fulfill the task that a Dodge Viper can do.

I can afford the Nightforce, but again the questions are:

One of my question really is: is the step up on glass worth it.
Especially considering I am getting extra weight and an illuminated reticle that I don't really want or need.

and

If you know of any other scopes in the 3-4.5 by 15-18 power range with a 50 mm objective, FFP MOA reticle with a stated budget of $1500 and preferably under 2# weight I would love to hear your contribution to the discussion.

If your answer to those questions are "buy it if you can afford it." :confused: Well that really does not contribute in a helpful manner.

Last edited:

Shootin4fun

price update, small diff, which one???

Updating the thread, current prices from Opt Plnet

Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 illuminated 31.2 oz....$999

NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm non-illuminated 29.7. oz....$1179

(offered for $1150 today at gun show, waited 15 min to decide, went back and a guy was counting out $100 bills for it, damn!)

<$80 diff.

Viewed at 2 different locations, so no side to side on brightness and resolution. But bigger glass usually means brighter if quality equal. Note the Viper goes to 25 vs SHV 20, but the glass is 6mm smaller. Gotta think it's not as bright.

Hunting targets often present themselves around dawn and dusk.

A few options difference: Viper illuminated, SHV not, Viper exposed turrets, SHV not unless you leave the caps off

Which has better glass and build? That is my final question.

Troy800

Vortex is a great scope for the price and first class warrenty service, but not my first choice for a hunting scope. For a hunting scope i want a rock solid scope that will handle the worst of conditions and be bright and clear during the last minutes of daylight. My game hunting rifle have Leupolds VX-3 or Zeiss Conquest with zplex reticle. I own two Zeiss scopes and by far my favorite big game hunting scopes. I own 3 leupold scopes and all great.