Vintage Tasco TSM 24x44 Japan

baddarryl

Hi all. I just picked up one of these on the cheap for my 10/22 Target. From what I can tell and have read these old Japanese scopes are pretty good. It is cloudy this morning and I was able to tell the detail on Bluebird houses very clearly at 125 yards. Seems like very good glass to me.

Can anyone tell me about these? I have heard there may possibly be parallax issues at very close ranges like 25 meters, but not confirmed. There is no adjustment for it. Thank you.

bamaranger

vintage Japan optics

Some of Japanese optics are not that bad. As I understand it, Tasco was not a manufacturer, but an exporter(?) and some of their early stuff was made by other Japanese optical firms of a very good reputation.

I have read good things about their "Titan" line of riflescopes, for example.

One thing to watch for on Japanese optics is the inspection seal/sticker that was applied by some Japanese agency, whose goal was to insure that any optic leaving Japan was of good quality. I cannot recall the exact wording on the seal, but they are circular, gold in color (may some silver), about the size of dime, and will have English writing on them to the effect of industry standards, inspection, that sort of thing. Any scope or bino that was otherwise functional, that had that inspection sticker, has worked pretty well for me. I have a set of pocket bino's marked Tasco that still have the seal, they must be 20 yrs old, and I still use them every gobbler season.

I dno't think the Japanese optic industry works that way anymore, but the older stuff, up into the 90's maybe, could bear the sticker.

baddarryl

Funny I searched for this scope again and came up with this old thread. Yes sticker on the bottom reads "Inspected by Asia Optical, Japan".

greentick

I bought a bolt action from a friend in the early 90s that had a Japanese 6-24x Tasco on it. I replaced it with a 2-10 d/t the thickness of the area I hunted. I found that old scope a few mos ago and was surprised how good the view was. It has parallax adjustment on the objective end of the scope.