Video test, Fiocchi 50 grain V-Max vs Federal green tip 62 grain Nato FMJ

WildBill45

I compared the V-Max and Nato FMJ head to head will use V-Max exclusively as my home defense AR round!

Last edited:

WildBill45

You have compared Two totally different rounds..

Yes I did, that was the point. I did not bad mouth any, just showing that the V-Max is a viable round for home defense for many reasons...

I have never shot a V-Max into anything other than paper before...

jimbob86

That may very well be The Ideal Home Defense round if you're ever the target of a home invasion by a vicious 1" thick chuck steak and his dastardly accomplice, the water-filled gallon milk jug ..... :D:D:D

...could not resist.

It would reduce the chances of overpenetration- over on TBO'T, they had some interesting barrier tests with them.

How's it do against body armor?

Tipsy Mcstagger

It does seem like the better home defense round to avoid over penetration but it also seems to me that some of the damage was caused by the water 'exploding' back towards the meat. I'd be interested to see if the fmj does similar damage with a piece of meat with a water jug behind it. Thanks for the video and re-post if you happen to shoot a meat/jug fmj combo.

Mobuck

The only use I have for 62 grain "green tip" is when it's time to face someone wearing Kevlar.
On the other hand, I've killed several critters with Fiocchi 50 V-Max. Extremely accurate in my Vanguard .223 and quite acceptable in a couple of AR's.

Darker Loaf

Fiocchi 50 grain V-max is what I used to harvest a deer two years ago. It broke the shoulder, broke rib, passed through both lungs, and broke the exiting rib before being caught in the exiting hide. I'd say it'd get the job done for home defense, no problem.

jimbob86

Fiocchi 50 grain V-max is what I used to harvest a deer two years ago. It broke the shoulder, broke rib, passed through both lungs, and broke the exiting rib before being caught in the exiting hide. I'd say it'd get the job done for home defense, no problem.

That's either one very tough varmint bullet, or one very flimsy deer.

What was the weight on that deer?

Darker Loaf

I don't know. I never weigh them; I just eat them. It was an adult doe of good size like person-sized. The bullet did fragment, but the base of it continued on. It did a lot of damage internally, and the deer died quickly and did not go very far. Whitetails out here aren't monster sized or anything.