Video of shooting Buffalorebore .357 in Kimber K6

HighValleyRanch

There is a lot of controversy about how much recoil, flash and loss of power in shooting .357 magnum out of a short snub nose revolver.

As posted earlier in another thread, I chrongraphed the Buffalobore .357 180 grain outdoorsman at 1289 fps out of my Kimber K6. I did video tape it in order to record the amount of recoil and flash coming out during the shots, but just now found a way to post it online for this thread.

I would not want to do this with the stock grips where the frame is exposed. Even in my heavier Ruger security six, it does hurt a little. But when I found that hogue makes a wrap around monogrip for the Kimber, that solved the problem. I did however slim down the grips considerably on the sides for better CCW and can pocket carry this revolver.

I have shot the BB out of a LCR and it was OK, but stout. But the Kimber K6 being a little heavier is more comfortable.

The first shot, my hold was fairly relaxed, so it had a little more muzzle rise, but on the second shot, after knowing what the recoil was going to be like, the rise was more controlled and followup shots were not a problem. I was using the Jerry Miculek wrap over grip and this really helps in controlling the rise.

The video shows regular speed, then slow and back to regular.
Notice the lack of flash and flame! It was under cover in the shade, so any flash should have showed up.

YMMV but in conclusion:
1. I love the Kimber K6. It is only a few ounces heavier than the .357 LCR but holds the 6 rounds. Trigger is butter smooth.
2. I am sold on the Hogue Monogrips as they make a WORLD of difference in shooting hot loads.
3. I am a fan of Buffalobore and used their loads in all my caliber guns. They are consistent, hot efficient rounds. I do not in any way work for them, I am a happy consumer, and don't mind the extra cost as I mostly use it for carry, not practice.
4. I cannot argue that using a shorter barrel with result in loss of power and velocity with the same load, but by choosing the appropriate loading you can overcome the myth that .357 in a snub nose is useless theory!
5. It is important to chronograph your own tests with your particular gun, because factory results on the box do not tell you what your gun will give.
6. I will have to do some evening shooting, but could not find flash a problem in this video.

There was a young guy next to me when I was video taping this, and after the shots, he turned to me and said.....is that a .357 magnum??? :D:D:D:D
Link to the video
http://funggrip.com/Personal/BBshooting.m4v

wild cat mccane

But what is that bullet doing, do you suspect, better than a hard copper wrapped off the shelf boring FMJ going slower which no one really suggests as a carry round for any situation? Cause you aren't talking all that much faster. Certainly no where near rifle level range where bullets start to do different kinds of damage.

You're in the 357 Sig level of velocity. Never heard someone say load up some Lawman TMJ 125gr for outdoors carry--it has greater velocity than most 357 mag rounds and will therefore be better. Nor have I heard people suggesting the commercial, and available right now at Primary Arms, Hornady Custom 147gr 357 Sig XTP for outdoor use.

Hot rod with only a +100 or +200 fps on a fmj bullet or a hollow point that doesn't benefit from extra fast makes no sense to me on anything outside of hitting paper for fun.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

"...loss of power..." There is a loss of velocity. Not so much the "power".
There's no flash from any cartridge in day light. Shoot it in low light and you'll be more impressed. Mind you, you'd be impressed with a .38 WC target load out of a short barrel too.
Felt recoil is subjective. Any felt increase with a 180 is due to the weight of the bullet vs the weight of the revolver. There's no like comparison on Hawk's revolver recoil page. Closest is a 125 at 1209 FPS out of a 1.75 pound revolver gives 8.9 ft/lbs. Your Kimber, depending on which K6 it is, weighs around 21 to 23 ounces. 23 ounces is 1.4ish pounds.
"...is more comfortable..." Lotta that is in the grips and how the thing fits your hand.