Video of .38 Special 158+P out of 14.3 oz gun

BubbaBlades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaPUemCcXg

The above YouTube video shows me shooting .38 Special Remington HTP 158+P ammo out of a S&W BG38. This gun weighs 14.3 ounces.

This is the hottest .38 Special load that I have found. I do not own a lightweight .357 Magnum revolver but I have used them with both .357 loads and the .38 +P load. For me, there is not much recoil difference between a light .357 load and a hot .38 Special load.

As the video shows, it is possible to shoot a rapid fire small size group with this gun and ammo combination. The small factory grip is good for concealment but does not absorb much recoil.

This video is being provided to inform people that the horror stories about recoil from airweight revolvers may not be a problem for them.

Last edited:

CDR_Glock

The above YouTube video shows me shooting .38 Special 158+P ammo out of a S&W BG38. This gun weighs 14.3 ounces.

This is the hottest .38 Special load that I have found. I do not own a lightweight .357 Magnum revolver but I have used them with both .357 loads and the .38 +P load. For me, there is not much recoil difference between a light .357 load and a hot .38 Special load.

As the video shows, it is possible to shoot a rapid fire small size group with this gun and ammo combination. The small factory grip is good for concealment but does not absorb much recoil.

This video is being provided to inform people that the horror stories about recoil from airweight revolvers may not be a problem for them.

Great demonstration.

I also try to show accuracy of a Snubby at 10-15-18 yards. It is more accurate than people give credit.

I have been able to hit Steel out to 50 yards with my Snubby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dscampbell

The above YouTube video shows me shooting .38 Special 158+P ammo out of a S&W BG38. This gun weighs 14.3 ounces.

Nice Video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thibaultfelix40

I have found that 130 grain standard pressure loads to be about all I want to shoot out of my 637 airweight. You only fired five shots but you have practiced a lot. I think it is kinda irresponsible to put out these videos for the not very gun savvy public who would be better served by a 22 lr revolver. If cost is no object, the S&W 317 is much better.

BubbaBlades

Follow-up

https://i.imgur.com/M5trffX.jpg

A S&W 317 does have less recoil than the BG38 so I can shoot tighter 7 round off-hand groups at 45 feet using the .22.

The pig picture is on computer paper and it does not leave clean holes. The rounds do not tumble.

I think that the best way to stop a "wounded charging hamster" is to take away its credit cards.

Mark aka BubbaBlades

2damnold4this

Fun video. A lot of folks would have been afraid to take on a dangerous target like that without some sort of magnum or high capacity auto.

Rangerrich99

https://i.imgur.com/M5trffX.jpg

A S&W 317 does have less recoil than the BG38 so I can shoot tighter 7 round off-hand groups at 45 feet using the .22.

The pig picture is on computer paper and it does not leave clean holes. The rounds do not tumble.

I think that the best way to stop a "wounded charging hamster" is to take away its credit cards.

Mark aka BubbaBlades
"Take away his credit cards." Nice.

More seriously, I can do about the same with my J-frame; it's just putting in the practice. Then again I've got years of rapid fire DA practice with my full-size revolvers to lean on as well. Been awhile since I've run my J-frame like that, might have to take her down to the range later this week.

BubbaBlades

Follow-up Part 2

The grips on the BG38 are factory S&W. When the gun first came out these grips were the ONLY ones that were available for this gun. The grips are about the size of the smallest J frame grips but there are NO parts on the BG38 that fit the J frames.

Dave T is not nuts. I added additional ammo info to my original post after reading Dave's comments.

Nick_C_S

Nice Shooting.

I fancy myself as a pretty good shot with a revolver; and I get lots of compliments at the range with my shooting.

But I struggle with snubbies. I could never take down that vicious guinea pig so thoroughly. I have small hands and yet find the j-frames (I own a S&W M60) too small to get a comfortable grip.

Dan-O

If you wanna open up that grouping you should shoot some 125 grain .357 loads from my Smith 340 M&P. It's 13.8 oz.

Literally feels like you're trying to wrap an aluminum bat around a metal telephone pole.