victory with a 270win

Sure shot wv

hello everyone, I will warn upfront this may be a bit longwinded.

So, in 2013 I began my quest for a new hunting rifle. I wanted something decent that wouldn't break the bank. something that I wouldn't cry over when it got scuffed or scraped but something that shot well. now I wasn't out looking for some tack driving bench gun just a solid rifle that would do its job to put meat in the freezer and food in my ever growing belly. boy did I get a surprise. so over the black Friday fiasco I notice a local gun shop is selling ruger americans for 249 new. I had already played with one in a 308 and it was on my list of possibilities. so seeing this sale I drug myself out at 5am and bought a new ruger American in 270win. over the next few weeks I picked up every kind of factory ammo I could find to see how it shot. at this point I also started reloading for it as well. so, all the over the counter ammo shot well pretty much a 1.5 moa gun except with herters( go figure ) it shot just under an inch or 1 moa. I was already happy with the gun because it seemed to do what I wanted. it shot good, was cheap and I was happy.

over the next few months I started playing with sierra 140g gamekings and hornady 130g interlocks. the sierras shot great. I was constantly at the 1 inch and under mark at 100 yards, truly a solid 1 moa gun. fast forward to today june 22 and the jackpot was hit. I was out honing in the hornady bullets when the greatest group ive ever shot was achieved. for a quick history on me im a pistol shooter. im a heavy competitor and pistol fanatic. my rifle shooting is just for hunting and fun. back on topic here, today with 130g hornady's and 54 grains of imr 4350 I shot a 3shot group of .371. I couldn't be happier with the group let alone out of a 249 dollar rifle. so I can say I achieved my goal of a good hunting rifle with flying colors. I cant wait to see what this hornady bullet does on deer. im now more excited for this season than I think ive ever been.

BumbleBug

You hear it over & over that a rifle that shoots 1-1/2" @ 100yds is plenty good & should be considered to have excellent hunting accuracy. But a hunting rifle that is a tack-driver is really the "icing on the cake"! It may not be necessary, but what a confidence booster.

Congratulations!

...bug :)

Mike / Tx

I know that feeling and it is really great when it all comes together.

Congrats and hope it serves you well for years to come.

jmr40

Ruger has a winner in the American. I paid $359 for mine and thought it was a good price. You done good.

Sure shot wv

If I would have known how the ruger American was gonna turn out I would have bought one in every caliber lol. So now I'm playing the waiting game to see if I can find another sale like that again.

Although I am very curious how others shoot. Did I get a fluke? How do y'all's shoot?

jmr40

I bought a compact 223 first. Liked it so well I bought a standard rifle in 308. Both shoot well for me. At 200 yards both will keep 3 shots under 1.5". I have better rifles and bought these as beaters to keep in the truck and ride on the ATV. For the money they do that job just fine.

I like the looks of the predator version just recently released. With the slightly heavier barrel I'd have likely gone that route if it had been available when I bought mine.

I doubt you'll find another at $250. At $350 or so it is still a lot of gun for the money. They are starting to get a lot of attention and I've seen them at a lot o places closer to $400 now. All of the major gun companies have started making budget guns in this price range. The Ruger is the only one that appeals to me. They got it right.