Victor, New to Me

bn12gg

Two weeks ago I purchased a new to me High Standard Victor with a ML serial number. ML75xxx. The pistol has not been shot until me three times in the last couple weeks --- very tight slide, sweet trigger and blue that rivals a Colt Python.

The gun really likes high velocity 22lr rather than standard velocity. It cycles the high velocity perfectly yet gags quite often on CCI SV. The Victor is really built heavy, tough. And, is super accurate with HV and SV.

Thoughts. Will HV hurt it.

Thanks

David

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

Well, the victor uses the same frame as the other military models like the Citation, 107 series, so yes HV will eventually damage the frame. After years of Bullseye shooting, estimating 10,000 rounds mine cracked right at the mag well as predicted, but in those days, there was no internet, so no one to advise otherwise. A friend welded it, and the grip frame is a little torqued but it still runs.
Also, these High Standards are very prone to chamber peening when dry fired, so be careful. I used a plastic shim to hold the slide slightly open to dry fire and that worked, but had to reinsert the shim every time I racked.

John Stimson

ML 75,xxx is most likely shipped in August or September 1980.

Your gun was fired at the factory for proving proper function and checking magazine adjustment and checking sight alignment.

High Velocity ammunition is a bad idea.

I would suggest you change the driving spring every 10,000 rounds or so. It physically wears on the outside diameter as it functions and the force is thereby reduced.

SIGSHR

I bought mine in 1972, it is the pistol I learned to shoot a handgun with. Yes, check those magazines.

stuckinthe60s

I own 4 victors currently. at one time, I owned all the variations of victors. and after years of shooting all the models of these hi-stds.....cci green tags are the best. try some.

burrhead

The magazine feed lip geometry is critical to the proper feeding. There use to be a man in New Hampshire who was/is a master at tuning HS mags. I don't remember his name, or if he's still around, but you could ask at Rimfire Central if you have feed problems. Good magazines are hard to come by so take very good care of the ones you have.

And to reiterate, NO HV ammo.