Vets, especially Desert Storm, need advice

Kaylee

A very dear friend of mine is getting increasingly loud "might be deploying" rumblings from his higher ups.. he's a Combat Engineer sergeant, US Army Reserves. He's asked me if I know of any vets he could hit up for stories -- especially the guys who were in Iraq back in the Gulf War.

Would anyone be willing to converse with him, and perhaps provide a little brotherly advice? Mostly, he's looking for "what I wish I knew/wish I brought" stories from folks who been there, done that. "Unoffical" skills not mentioned in the manuals, things to pack, etc etc.

I can say that he's really attached to his guys, and I think he's a little nervous about going into a potentially hostile area with them -- the most he's done so far is building schools in El Salvador. Any help y'all could give him, I'd really appreciate.

-K

PS -- Among other things, he's searching out the paperwork trail for getting sidearms authorized for his people. (This make it gun related enough?)

PPS -- Tam, if I can steal him away from his wife and young'n for an afternoon, any chance I can get you to give him a familiarization run on that swoopy AK of yours?

Glockenstien

Tell him to bring lots of money....

... and buy gold over there (it's really cheap, and really pure) and then bring it back to the US and sell it. He will thank you later. Bahrain is a good place to buy gold.

Also bring:

A couple pairs of sunglasses.

Sunscreen (if not issued)

I wasn't in DS - but at Bragg and in Korea about 25-50% of the guys in my units were veterans and were happy to share lessons learned.

Mostly, they said, the buildup was a matter of sit around and wait. Lots of PT, lots of volleyball and giving each other haircuts. Care packages got more candy, sunscreen, sunglasses, and such than you'd ever believe. For example, for 3 years after DS, my unit was *still* getting candy, toiletries & such *left over* from DS. So don't worry too much about that crap - the log train will catch up pretty quick, you just need enough to last until it does. It's hitting the ground and getting in position in the first place that's the real pucker factor.

The best way he can prepare now is to make sure he knows his job and practicing the basics of his MOS. Instead of playing Xbox and ducking PMCS, trash detail or anything else, everyone should be brushing up on common tasks. So, here's some good skills to brush up on, in no particular order.

He's an engineer, so tell him to learn the 5-34 backwards and forwards regarding hasty minefield emplacement, concertina & other obstacles. Mobility & Counter-Mobility Operations. Triple-F - Find them, fix them in place, f*ck them up.

Make sure everyone can perform a medevac & call for fire without having to look at the cards. You never know when you'll need either.

Make sure everyone knows how to use an SOI, perform authentication, and synch up / erf / PMCS the radio. I cannot stress this enough - the radio is your best friend when out in the boonies. The last thing you want is Blue on Blue due to lack of comms.

Make sure everyone can perform CPR - you would not believe how many people would be saved if this was the case. Don't be squeamish about "kissing" your buddy, the life saved may be your own.

If possible, Make sure everyone can give an IV - it's a task taught in Sapper Leader course and should be (IMHO) a Level 1 in the SMCT testing. It's not terribly difficult and good training.

Everyone should know how to do hasty demolitions. Dual det systems, hasty breach, proper use of caps, proper rigging of explosives.

Land mine recognition, land mine recognition, land mine recognition.

Conversely - land mine emplacement & preparation. Though this may not be such a big deal anymore with Volcano & such.

DO NOT STACK "DUD" CLUSTER MUNITIONS. B CO, 27th Eng Bn lost nearly their entire chain of command to this. Expensive lesson learned. When in doubt listen to EOD. Just because your CO says that it's safe to handle, trust EOD more.

Don't steal essential mission equipment until after the mission is over, if at all. The blasting machine may sound neat when you rev it up, but what are you really going to do with it? Also - a lantern battery will work for demo in a pinch. So will a 5 ton truck battery.

Always have 2 or more ways to initiate your explosives. Dual det systems are your friend. Det cord is good ****. Do test burns on your time fuse. Triple check your math. Triple check your demo before the mission and don't be afraid to use enough tape.

DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH ANTI-HANDLING DEVICES

The proper formula for calculating demo needed is P+M=E (Plenty+More=Enough). You aren't getting paid to bring it back.

Don't expect to be able to smuggle back any contraband.

Personal Hygiene is a good thing. Just because you are in the field, don't think you don't have to brush. Don't forget to use your water purification. Don't forget to use bug spray. Do not use tent spray on your personal equipment - unless you want cancer.

Weapons & Marksmanship & qualification will already be heavy on the training schedule. You'll find all sorts of ammo & training dollars being freed up soon. You'll probably have the opportunity to fire a few AT-4s if there is time in country. Heck, if there is enough build up time, you'll find more time for fam fire than you'll believe - and range opportunities a plenty.

There's more, but I'm tired. I'll add more later.

Kevin

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Kaylee,

PPS -- Tam, if I can steal him away from his wife and young'n for an afternoon, any chance I can get you to give him a familiarization run on that swoopy AK of yours?

Any time; mi Kalashnikov es tu Kalashnikov. :cool: