Very short SIG 716 Review

BGutzman

Today in Little Falls Mn, Sig Sauer and other manufacturers of firearms put on a gun show in the drizzle...

I got to handle the P224, P938 and shoot a single round through the SIG 716. I didnt get to look at the weapon very long because of the demand of other to look at and shoot it but I can say this...

When I shook it, the gun did not in any way rattle or show any signs at all of play, it felt very tight... Trigger pull felt like about 5 lbs but thats just my guess but it was as smooth as silk... The stock absorbed the recoil to the point that it seemed to have no kick...

One bullet and one minute of handling doesnt leave me with much more I can say other than this has been and is now more than ever on my buying list.. asking price was about 2000... MSRP I was told was 2400...

Last edited:

Technosavant

A $2000 AR is going to need to be something very, VERY special.

I have lots of love for Sig Sauer products, but their rollmark isn't quite enough to get me to drop that much on a DI AR-15. Not when it's easy enough to build a good quality one AND get a quality optic for that price.

ETA: I shouldn't post when my head is full of Jello. :rolleyes:

The 716 isn't their 5.56mm AR, it's their 7.62 one, and at that price, it's not a bad deal. Sheesh, I even have their product catalog at home and missed that...

Last edited:

Wolf69

Sig 716 has raised the bar for the .308 AR

I finally had range time with what I thought was the first 716 in California :) I got it in March from Riflegear. This gun is awesome!

First it's simple- very few parts- just a piston, pushrod and everything else looks the same as any other AR.

2nd, t's not very heavy- lighter than my friends LMT.

3rd it seems to be extremely reliable: It fired everything I put into it (until we ran out of ammo about 400 rounds later!) Not a single malfunction. American Eagle, Hornady, Federal, LC M80 (about 200 rds rapid firing). I put a PWS FSC30 on it before I even shot it just because previous experience has shown me these work great on my other .308 AR's (and stock on FN SCAR) (and I like the sound :)

4th thing I like is how easy it was to clean...I didn't really! I couldn't believe how clean it was...I just wiped down the bolt, piston was only a little black and I of course had to clean the bore after so many rounds.

Very light recoil and accuracy was much better than expected hitting steel at 250 yds with irons. I'm very happy with this gun!!

I've seen some unsubstantiated negative opinions of SigUSA but I contacted customer support to order another bolt release because I want to weld a Phase5 Tactical EBRV1 to mine and she said she'd ship one out to me in the next day or two!

If anyone sees 716 for sale and your considering it I'd jump on it - for the price it can't be beat considering anything else out there like it.

RC20

One bullet and one minute of handling doesnt leave me with much more I can say other than this has been and is now more than ever on my buying list.. asking price was about 2000... MSRP I was told was 2400...

that is one expensive single shot! (grin)

sailskidrive

I don't believe they are releasing a 24" model; their precision gun will be released with a 20" barrel.

Below is a picture of my SIG716 topped with a Vortex Viper 1-4x. The fit and finish are very, very good. It has several nice features like the ambi mag release, free float rail, QD mount point on the receiver and rail. three position gas plug, MAG PUL furniture, a reduced weight carrier, the nicest buffer spring I've ever seen in an AR, and SIG BUIS. It came with a cleaning kit, rail covers, really nice 3-point sling with QDs, hard case, and a 20 round PMAG.

I hit consistently hit 18" steel gongs at a little over 350 yards using Spanish Santa Barbara Surplus. As mentioned by others, even after a few hundred rounds there isn't really any residue in the chamber. The piston itself takes about one minute to remove clean and reassemble.

I'm very pleased with this gun, I owned a Bushmaster LR308 MOE Middy before this one and there is no comparison between the two.

83cc42bf.jpg