Very cheap S&W Model 10s at J&G Sales - Opinions?

Rich Miranda

I was looking for a cheap, but operational and reliable, .38 for range use and came across these at J & G Sales.

I don't care at all about looks, just how and whether it works and whether it will last at least a few years without expensive gunsmithing.

What do you think?

kle

Wleoff said:
If I remember right, they're also double action only, which is odd since they have hammers.

Some holsters don't work without the hammer spurs; I'll bet that if they're DAO, they left the hammer spur to allow for holster retention.

kraigwy

It wouldn't be difficult at all to switch out the hammer, trigger, or both if they do show up as DAO.

Personally I like to fondle guns before I buy them.

Kind of like ....................... never mind.

Glenn Dee

I didnt see anything about them being DAO like the15's they had. At this price I HAVE to get at least one or two... In south Florida these are going for between three, and four hundred.. Not for resale, but HD, truck, or stash guns...

The are S&W's. available parts, and service. Made at a time when S&W was at the top of their game (IMO). This seems like a no brainer. I'm going to order one... I'll post it's condition here when it comes.

Glenn Dee

wnycollector

In south Florida these are going for between three, and four hundred

One of the few bright spots of living in NY, is the plentiful supply of used M10 and M15's in the sub $225 range. With many model 10's and M&P's in the $150-175 range if you bargain hard;) M64's and M67's seem to bring a premium, but can be had for less than $300. I guess thats why my gun safe has so many old .38 revolvers in it. I just put a very good condition M15 on lay away at a local gun shop for $216 OTD.

absolute0

There is NO WAY you can go wrong on a Model 10 at this price from an outfit like J&G.

Grab one (or more) and run.

vytoland

the price is good and the folks at j&g are easy to work with.

i bought one of the S&W model 64 NY-1 they have for sale and i am very pleased with it.

BT100

J&G sales

Good price but I've had some slight disappointments with the condition of some items I purchased through them. Meaning I expected Very Good but recieved just Good condition pieces. SOG and CDNN also sell used S&W revolvers.

Deaf Smith

If J&G's website photos are correct, THESE GUNS ARE IN TERRIBLE CONDITION.

I'm not joking. They don't look good at all. I'd only buy one if I can see and handle it. They may have end-shake, crane shake, shot bolts, bent sights...

No, at that price I want to see it first.

LSU12ga

I have a friend who swears by this guy:

I bought a model 64 from him last month and it came in what I would describe as excellent condition. I think I must have gotten one of the last ones. I think it was about 300, shipped. The gun had a few scratches and some grip wear, but nothing major was wrong, it looked almost new, or very well cared for. I would think it would be worth the OPs money to maybe get one in better condition for a little bit more, those look like they have been through hell and back.

op, if you are interested I have a post about the gun i got from summit here

Crosshair

Those are darn tempting prices. Would make great trunk and travel bag guns.

Don't really like the DAO on some, but I have to be honest, for a defensive gun I'm probably not gonna be using SA mode.

I'm tempted to get a 5-pack of those good condition model 64's.

Locoweed

Before day dreaming about them too much you'd better check with J&G to see if they're still available. J&G commonly continues to advertise guns they have long ago sold out of. When I lived in Arizona I was in their store a half dozen times and I've seen their used revolvers in person. Well used and nothing I myself would care to buy. One time I saw a display case full of Tokarevs and they all looked like they had been through the Battle of Stalingrad. Caveat Emptor -- let the buyer beware.

jglsprings

This is from J&G's site about condition.....

http://www.jgsales.com/gunrating.php

It was my experience with J&G that the guns are shipped as advertised or BETTER. They shipped what I ordered within 2 days.

You can look around at some of my posts and see the Model 14 and a Model 67 that I got from them. If you don't like the gun, you can ship it back. Both of my guns were OUTSTANDING mechanically, cosmetically challenged.

Mark at Summit is top notch. I have a used Model 19 2 1/2" acquisition from him and it was exactly as he described it. It is my next "project" gun. He has a return policy as well.

You have to realize that the less you pay for a gun, the less gun you are going to get. I think that most the guys here who think of these as a truck or project gun are right on the money.

Last edited:

DogoDon

I bought a "very good plus" model 64 (DAO) from J&G Sales recently, and it is in great condition. Tight cylinder, good trigger, no major cosmetic flaws. It looked to be used very little.

Personally I decided it made sense to pay the extra $20 or so to get the VG+ condition. I'm glad I did.

I consider it a great deal. Couldn't be happier.

DD