Verification of Antique Firearms

James K

Member In Memoriam
The first revolver is an antique, a "suicide special" of little value.

The third gun is probably antique, but it would be impossible to know, and I doubt that even better pictures could determine for sure.

The cut down rifle is illegal under U.S. law unless registered with the BATFE. These guns appear to be in some kind of museum display, but even so would have to be registered if they come under the National Firearms Act.

Jim

Pahoo

Ghosts of the past !!!

The cut down rifle is illegal under U.S. law unless registered with the BATFE.
I wish I could recall the name of the original rifle as I use to own one. It was magazine fed and was located at the front flat, of the trigger guard. There should be a name on the receiver. .... ;)

My SWAG on the 1st, is a Colt and on the third, British ??? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

James K

Member In Memoriam
AFAIK, Colt never used the name "Lady's Companion" on any revolver, but I can't find who did. I have some good lists of such names but that is not on them.

I think the other revolver is probably Belgian, but without seeing the gun or better pictures, I can't be sure.

The cut down rifle is (or was) a Savage, probably a Model 1903, but I can't be sure.

Jim

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Mike, I couldn't find it in Goforth's book, but that means nothing. There were so many names used for those guns that I doubt we will ever know all of them, let alone who made them.

Jim

I did a little more digging, and I can't verify that the Ladies Companion was Johnson & Bye, so it probably wasn't.

The Johnson in the company, by the way, was Iver Johnson. He bought out Bye after a few years and formed Iver Johnson Gun & Cycle Works.

gyvel

Continental revolvers, according to Mathews, were made either by "Great Western Gun Works. Pittsburgh, PA. (Owned by James Johnson)" or by Hood Firearms Co. of Norwich, CT, although Mathews also lists a "Ladies Companion" pepperbox made by the Continental Arms Co., also of Norwich, CT.

So a semi educated guess could be that Hood bought out the company, or operated it as a separate division of Hood Firearms.

Guns were made in .22 RF or .32 RF.

Last edited: