Verification of Antique Firearms

indie_rocker

I'm not an expert, but they look old to me.

Something that might help those that are experts though; more information about the firearms you are trying to identify and much, much clearer pictures.

Jim Watson

I cannot find anything to ID the first flare gun.

I found the following on the second flare gun on another board: "Your signal pistol is a 1 inch, No2 Mk5. It was made in WW2 by a company named I.L. Berridge & Co, who were a commercial knitting machine manufacturer. They are no longer in business.
Berridge made over 200,000 examples of this particular pattern pistol during the war. It is a classic example of simplicity of design and manufacture."

The pinfire revolver is a typical example of the type, turned out in large numbers by many European manufacturers from the 1850s up until WWI. Few are marked to identify the maker but it should have proof marks which would show the country.

The first one appears VERY much to be a Remington Mk III flare pistol.

Manufactured between 1915 and 1918 with about 25,000 made.

natman

#5 looks like a WWII flare pistol. I believe the nubbin on the barrel was to attach the pistol to a mount that allowed it to be fired from inside an aircraft.

Bigger, closer and sharper pictures would help a lot. It would also be a good idea to use different titles for your various threads to tell them apart.

Jim Watson

Mike, I flipped between the OP's picture and photos of Remington flare guns and concluded it was similar but not identical. There are other spur trigger flare guns out there but I could not find an exact match. Of course I may have given up too soon or it might predate the Gorenet.

gyvel

#5 looks like a WWII flare pistol. I believe the nubbin on the barrel was to attach the pistol to a mount that allowed it to be fired from inside an aircraft.

You're probably thinking of a Kilgore flare pistol which were used for signaling on aircraft via a bayonet type receptacle which allowed shooting of flares out of the fuselage.

One specific example of which I have personal knowledge is the EC121R aircraft used during Vietnam.