Venturing to Ohio...

chris in va

I have a KY permit. Driving the 6 hours to pick up my CMP Garand this weekend, are there any weird Ohio CC laws I need to know about other than what's on the Handgunlaw.us site?

Well, on the off chance you carry a glock gun with a 33 round reload, that is illegal.
You have to check the door and windows of EVERY building you enter for a no gun sign, which may or may not mean CCW carriers issued a license BY OHIO, so I guess you just have to not carry in anyways since you do not have a license from Ohio(this is due to stupid wording in the original signs printed which I guess the AG gave the thumbs up to and no one had ever bothered to change them).

So, basically, probably not.

Oh yeah, people go back and forth on whether you can carry a BUG or not due to the wording of the law being somewhere between ambiguous and singular. Currently I believe opinion is that you can carry multiple guns though.
Oh, a loaded magazine counts as a loaded gun, even without a gun, I would guess this to include Garand clips, so don't put any loaded Garand clips in your trunk or anything as CHL does not permit carry of a loaded rifle in your car. I would guess CMP surplus ammo in clips in the container would be fine.

SOME of this should be fixed later this year.

IF you have it, take extra money for a carbine. When I went they had beautiful carbines. That was a year and a half ago though.

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

I'm in NKY so I'm back and forth into Ohio on a regular basis. The only thing I can think of is that in Kentucky, you are not required to notify law enforcement if stopped while carrying. (In Kentucky by the way, if they run your license, they can immediately tell if you have a CCW license or not.) In Ohio, I believe any way, you are required to notify them.

seldomseen

I am not positive about the law for non residents carrying in Ohio with an out of state permit, but I do know that residents of Ohio with a CHL do not have to keep the loaded handgun on their person at all times. We are allowed by law to leave it in our vehicle, loaded and in an unlocked, or locked, if you prefer, glove box, or center console if you so desire. However, if you have it on your person, it must be in a holster and concealed. During a traffic stop, you are only required to notify the police officer that you have a CHL and are carrying, if you actually are carrying, or have the handgun with you in the vehicle ,otherwise, no notification is required. I would avoid, Cleveland, if at all possible, as the mayor of Cleveland doesn't recognize the state preemption laws that were passed recently, and still enforces home rule. Other major cities in the state may well take that same approach. That battle is still being fought in the courts.

shortwave

Seldomseen,
Your absolutely correct.

Its mandatory to inform LEO only if stopped and you have your ccw or other arms with you. Informing must be done at onset of conversation with LEO or it can be left up to the discrimination of officer as to whether charge you for not informing if he/she finds out of your ccw later on in conversation.

When you're pulled over and LEO runs your plates on his computor, if you have your cc permit,you'll come up as 'WANTED' on his/her screen. Officer then clicks screen on the wanted sign and they'll then know you have your ccp. I've yet to hear of an LEO that frowns on the fact that civilians are allowed to carry with permit but I'm sure they exist. DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF NOT INFORMING UP FRONT. You may get that LEO that thinks he's the only person thats allowed to defend themselves:rolleyes:.

Your ccw DOES NOT have to be kept on your person. It can be in glovebox, console, under seat etc.

your gun must be on your person if loaded.
I agree this is not true. It can be left in the places previously mentioned.

it must be in a holster and concealed.
I don't think this is true. It certainly can be openly carried, at least by Ohio citizens. Printing etc is not an issue for Ohio citizens. Is this not true for citizens of other states?
I know lots of people who pocket carry without a holster. I don't because I do not think it is very safe, but it is not uncommon. Maybe they are breaking the law.
I also am not sure laying the gun under the seat is legal. I won't say I have never done it before, but I think it must technically be secured in some fashion in case of traffic accident.

If you have a non-Ohio permit they won't know you carry. There have been some discussions on BFA or OFCC if you still have to tell them or not(B/C many Ohioans have dropped their Ohio license and only have Utah now). The law is vague. I would go ahead and tell the officer.

troy_mclure

according to the ohio concealed cary laws booklet http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ublications/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet

page 19/20.

"if you have a ccp, you may not transport a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle unless it is carried in one of the following ways,

the loaded handgun is in a holster, secured on the person.

the loaded handgun is in a closed case/bag/box, or other container, that has a lid, etc..... and must be opened to be accessed.

the loaded handgun is securely encased by being secured in a closed glove compartment/console, or locked box."

these laws regard TRANSPORTING THE GUN, my dad(recently took the course) was told it was illegal to leave a loaded gun in the vehicle.

i could find nothing mentioning this however.

chris in va

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

How about restaurants that serve alcohol? We'll be staying two nights in a motel and trying the local eateries in the meantime.

EDIT: I see it's not allowed. Oh well.

Last edited:

seldomseen

You cannot legally carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. There is legislation pending in Columbus right now that addresses that issue, but as of right now, it is not legal. Who knows if it will ever get passed. Enjoy your trip.