Venison Chili recipes???

Kcustom45

I'm not really sure exactly what my dad puts in his chili, but I know he puts in Jalapeno peppers, and no pasta. Other than that I think it is regular chili with Venison instead of beef.

Last edited:

Kingcreek

start with about 6 jalepeno peppers. rub them with olive oil and toast them in the broiler (turning once or twice) until brown and blistered. wrap in a paper towel or place in a paper sack and place in freezer.
I prefer about 1 to 1 1/2 pound venison stew meat cuts but if you are using ground meat break into clumps the size of the end of a finger and lightly coat with flour and a little salt and pepper. brown the meat in oil in a cast iron pot.
add 1 large diced onion, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic chopped fine and about a half cup of water and a splash of red wine or beer. simmer covered on low.
take the peppers out of the freezer and peel the clear blistered skins off and remove the seeds. chop the peppers and add to the pot along with 1-2 tablespoons of chili powder.
Add 1 large can of beans like Brooks, or Bush's and 1 large can of tomatoes.
simmer long and slow, adding liquid if needed.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Get a pork roast about 1/2 the weight of the ground deer., and a half case of beer. Grind up the pork and mix the meat together, drink a beer. If you have about 2 pounds of meat chop up 3 big onions, and drink a beer. Put enough oil in the pot to keep it from sticking (a spoon full should be good), and drink a beer. Heat the oil and put the onions and meat in and brown the meat good, and drink a beer. Add 3 cans of Trappey's Red Beans in Chili Gravy to the pot, and drink a beer. Add about 2 big cans of tomato sauce and drink a beer. Add chili powder to taste (A lot :D). Season liberally with Tony's Cajun seasoning, and drink a beer. Cook for 5 or 6 hours on a low fire stirring a lot, and drink several beers.

Seriously with or without the beers it is good cooked this way.

MeekAndMild

Try this in addition to any recipe you use. For a big pot of chile start two days before with a cup of white navy beans and a quarter pound of bacon. Soak the beans as per usual. Chop up the bacon and fry it in the bottom of a cooking pot, then boil it and the white beans until they are mush. Cool them and blend in a blender them until there is nothing left but a puree but don't worry about any bacon pieces you can still see.

OK, then use this bacon/bean puree instead of an equal amount of the water you'd ordinarily add your chili as the chili cooks down. It ends up thickening the chili and the bacon adds a nice flavor.

One warning, you have got to SIMMER any chili with this added thickening and if you cook it too fast it will cause the chili to burn and stick to the pan.

FWIW I also like deer shoulder cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes in the chili replacing an equal proportion of ground deer.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
M&M, your recipe may taste very, very good. No problem. But cooking any beans in with the meat, it ain't chili. Just like a 26" barrelled 9-lb gun ain't no Scout Rifle.

:D, Art

MeekAndMild

Art, things change once you cross the Texas/Louisiana border. You'd be surprised how many folk on the gulf coast add rice and/or crawfish and/or sausage and still call it chili. :D Besides, once you blend it up it ain't beans no more.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I find the bean-issue amusing. The Chili-heads who come down here for the World Championship cookoffs think it's serious as a heart attack. :) You know they're serious when they call the event the "Chilimpiad". And it's folks from all over the country and Canada, so it's not just a "Texas thing".

As far as the issue of beans in the meat, we now have folks starting in with bean-cooking contests alongside the meat-cookers. :) Like I say, they take it just real serious.

Where I get grumpy is over what folks over in Georgia call barbecue. They do pretty good with pork, but their barbecued beef is more like roast beef with barbecue sauce on it. Duh? And they've never heard of brisket, apparently.

:D, Art

K

KilgorII

I'm a native Texan and good chili has to have red kidney beans in it. :D

Kingcreek,

Why do you remove the seeds? The mark of a good chili to me is one with a lot of pepper seeds in it. Tells me they didn't just use store bought powder.

orsogato

my mom makes the best venison chili. Eating some right now actually.

unfortunately she is one of those Italian cooks, "little bit of this, little bit of that, pich of this etc.?" Measuring cups are something from another planet to her.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Hey Art.................Karlyne says I need to leave the beans out...............in fact if she could she would eliminate all beans from my diet!

Got 5 yea count em 5 Boneless pork loins all stuffed and cooking now for tomorrow.........................just to keep everyone on their toes tomorrow I cooked a big pot of red beans yesterday and have been eating them just steadily! :D :D

weather getting a lil cool here....got to make sure there is no natural gas shortage :D :D

K

KilgorII

Just to keep everyone on their toes tomorrow I cooked a big pot of red beans yesterday and have been eating them just steadily!

Just make sure there's a dog laying around you at all times to blame it on. :D

BJordan71

The best venison chili I've ever had is my dads. I can't give you the recipe cause he won't give it to anybody. I will tell you that it'll make you slap your granny if she's taking the last bowl, it's that good.

Stay safe,
Happy Thanksgiving.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
KilgorII, the deal is, you cook the chili and the beans separately. THEN you put the beans in a bowl and the chili on top. After that, you're on your own. :)

Hey, look. We get ten-thousand screaming drunks down here for Chili CookOff. If you went around talking about putting beans in the chili during cooking, you'd start the dangdest riot this side of a Yurropeen soccer game!

Can you run pretty fast?

:), Art

K

KilgorII

BTW the local eatery here in Fayetteville, Arkansas has a dish called a Terlingua which consists of a baked potato with chili (beanless :D ), cheese, onions, jalapenos, and sour cream on it. Thought of you when I ordered it the other day.

Mannlicher

I have used this recipe for years. Most seem to like it. I have picked up several first place ribbons in chili cookoffs.

Sam’s Venison Chili

Three tablespoons lard
One tablespoon peanut oil
One pound venison, cut into ¼ inch cubes
½ pound venison sausage
one half cup venison or beef broth
one medium onion, chopped fine
½ bell pepper, diced
two large chipolte chile pepper cored, and seeded, diced
¼ cup crushed caribe chile
two small green chilis, cored, diced, keep the seeds
one teaspoon mexican oregano
one teaspoon toasted cumin seeds, crushed
one tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
one 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
several diced garlic cloves

Method

Melt lard, add the peanut oil
Add the garlic and onion, cook until translucent
Add venison cubes and sausage, brown
Add chilies, and bell pepper
Add tomatoes
Add broth, and spices
Add enough water to make proper consistancy
Bring to boil, then reduce heat, and simmer two hours, stirring occasionally

MeekAndMild

Art, we ran a medium sized test pot today using Mrs. M&M's favorite recipe for pulled (not ground) deer chili plus my bean puree. Since it was not a large batch we only used a half cup of white navy beans cooked then blenderized until they reached the consistancy of heavy cream and three slices of bacon fried and crumbled in later with the chili but the grease going in to cook with the navy beans at first.

It thickened up the mix considerably. Mrs. M&M prefers chili to have a watery sauce but everyone else likes the thicker style.

If you use this idea among your Texas friends just tell them it is a secret ingredient and look wise. They will never know it is navy beans and bacon.