velocity

Buzzard Bait

I have loaded some 30-06 rounds as follows
ww case cci 200 primer & 150 gr barnes tiped triple shock bt
52 gr imr 4064 over all length 3.245"
I'm shooting them out of a 22" barrel rem 700
I get fair groups I want to plug in the velocity to the spot on nikon bdc program.
Can anyone give me a good estamate of velocity for this round?
Thanks
bb
CAUTION: The above post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information

Last edited:

lwknight

It would be a wild guess on my part
2400-2500 sounds about right with 52 grains 4064 and a 200 grain bullet.
I never tested any 200 grain bullets in a 30-06.

GeauxTide

52gr. of 4064 and a standard 150 gave me 2950 in 24". Subtract about 80fps and you'll be close. BTW, 7/8" groups.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
If you could tell me the H2O capacity of a fired case and ALL of the relevant on the round, I can run it in QuickLoad and the result should be with a couple % at most from actual.

Need:

Water capacity
Case length
Bullet length
Cartridge length
Ambient temperature
The EXACT barrel length would help too, my 24" guns actually have barrels at about 24.15. Not much difference, but every variable you can eliminate helps.

Anyway, the generic prediction, with a slight increase in predicted case capacity, is 2834 fps.

lwknight

I guess I'm lexdissic, I could have swore that we were talking about a 200 grain bullet LOL.. I just keyed in on the 200 from the primer.