Velocities?

ZVP

My seems to shoot hotter?..20 gauge seems to hit POA with. It's shot load much faster than my 19 in. 12?
same shot size and powder charges. The little 20 doubl just has more speed it seems
Can this be so?
Just an illusionist n due tomorrow o the lower recoil of the 20?
Even the muzzle report seems hotter...

All I've shot is 12?ga over the decades.
I really am a no pressed with the 20. Any further purchases will be 20's! Gonna keep just made 1?2ga H/D gun will be the afore mentioned 19" 12.
Comments?
Dave

FITASC

Hopefully I am understanding your post correctly.

Gauge has nothing to do with how fast the payload is. The choice of ammo does.
Shotgun ammo has pretty much reached peak velocity in the first 16-18" of the barrel, so your 19" 12 should not have any issues in that regard.

The biggest payload in the fastest ammo being shot out of the lightest gun will give you the most recoil - could that be what is happening and you are assuming a few things?

Have you fired your ammo over a chronograph?

ZVP

It on I OK thanks!
No chrony to check it on.
Looks like I 'm guessing too much just cause
I like the20

GarandTd

I'm a fan of the 20. The only cons I see to a 20 is less aftermarket and fewer ammo options. Aside from that, I'm not sure why more people don't choose 20 over 12.

44 AMP

Staff
Essentially all shotguns operate in the same velocity range. There are, of course some differences, but generally all are about the same.

This is because above 1300?ish fps, patterns become ...erratic..
(some say go to hell:rolleyes:)

Your 20 may be a handful of fps faster than your 12, but not much, if any.

dreaming

If your 20 is hitting your POA better than the 12, with the same weight of shot and the same powder charge, it may just be that for one or several reasons the 20 fits you better.