Vehicle Defense Ammo, Slugs or Buckshot?

Sulaco

I keep an old 870 in my vehicle whenever I go, well, anywhere. It is outfitted with a 20" rifle sighted smooth bore barrel that accepts Remington chokes. I have an Improved Cylinder choke in it now and it's stoked with some older rifled Federal slugs. It shoots these well out to 75 yards or so (probably further but I don't care) and I feel it is a great weapon for anything from barrier penetration to shooting a rabid dog and everything in between. I have been recently considering keeping some buckshot handy too, but wanted some opinions. I think the slugs do everything I want so I don't know where this buckshot idea is coming from, but there it is. What do you guys think?

cma g21

IMHO, if you're using a shotgun, it's had to beat a slug for penetratiom and for longer (25 to 100 yard) shots.

For most home defense uses I think I'd prefer the more limited penetration offered by shot.

I'd really prefer shot for small, moving targets like the rabid dog you mentioned.

YMMV

TheGreatGonzo

Buckshot would be a good idea if you plan on aquiring targets fast and without the scope. It would be a good idea to throw a dozen or so in with the slugs just in case.

9mmMike

If it were legal in PA to carry a loaded SG in the car, I'd likely opt for slugs as well. Maybe a few 000 buck in a sidesaddle....
Mike

banditt007

if you are worried about things dog sized and people sized from 0-20 yards i would opt for some 00 buck reduced recoil for faster follow up shots. most reduced recoil also is made to pattern tighter since its generally used in cylinder bore/tactical guns.

if you plan on things bigger than dogs/people or beyond 20 yards i'd go for the slugs.

Syntax360

I would fill the tube with buck and a sidesaddle with slugs. I would suspect if you needed it for defensive purposes, it would be inside 20 yards and buckshot would be the better choice. The Buick 'O Truth showed that buckshot and slugs both blast right through.