Vector Arms HK Replica V51 vs. Armalite AR-10A4 Carbine

copenhagen

OK, so my buddy is looking to get a 7.62 NATO rifle. I personally own an M1A Scout Squad, but he doesn't have the coin, and also wants something a bit more modern. Between the two of us, we narrowed it down to an HK Replica from Vector Arms, or an Armalite AR-10A4 Carbine.

I am not familiar with Vector Arms' replicas of HK's. While I have nothing but faith in an actual HK, I have no clue how well Vector did at their replica. The Armalite AR-10A4 is about $500 more though. I have heard a few good things about Armalite, and just wanted to throw this one out here to see what ya'll hear at TFL think. Your comments and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

The Vector HK Replica V51:

V51RIFLE.gif

http://vectorarms.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_9&products_id=3

The Armalite AR-10A4 Carbine:

AR10A4_CAR.jpg

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10A4C&Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776

Destructo6

Why not a PTR with a 16" + barrel? I really don't see the utility in such a short barrel, with long extension, unless you're going to SBR it later.

copenhagen

I tend to agree with you, but he wants the 16". I like 18" barrels myself, but he would get a 12" if he didn't have to pay 200 dollar tax stamp, and he's on a budget.

Also, I wasn't familiar with the PTR myself. I appreciate the hint.

B. Lahey

I don't know much about their H&K clones, but I've had great luck with Vector.

I have one of their Hungarian-parts AKs and it is the most accurate AK I have ever encountered. It's parts are fitted extremely tight (no rattling bucket of bolts here) but it functions perfectly even when filthy. I guess they kept the important parts just loose enough to ensure flawless function and tightened the tolerences for everything else for accuracy and an alltogether well-made rifle.

Who couldn't love an AK made in Utah?:)

They make nice Uzis as well.

I would bet their H&K-type rifles are of the same quality.