VCDL on PBS tonight, Need to Know

wally626

Ed Levine and his 12-year-old daughter, Brooke are featured on PBS's "Need to know" tonight (check your local listings)! The VCDL name will probably also be prominent in the piece.

Just finished watching, the premier episode of the show. Started out with a piece on the Oil spill that was somewhat of a hit piece. Then into guns.

Covered the Open Carry movement in VA. I thought over all they did a good job, it sounded like what was shown was close to what was filmed, based on Ed's previous notes in VCDL emails. Even a shot of Ed's daughter with a Walther P22, with pink frame, showing good gun handling skills. They had one encounter in a hair stylist shop with a person complaining about the open carry, making the remark that it was a safe town and no gun was necessary, he even complained about the gun being cocked (Not a 1911 fan I guess). No other comments by bystanders, covered the Wash DC gun march and the Northern VA open carry demonstration the same day. Only question that Ed seemed to miss was one on gun accidents, the interviewer said more guns means more accidents and gun deaths, Ed said no not right but had nothing to back himself up. One example I thought of was that given the large rise in the number of guns owned the number of gun deaths both accidental (small number) as well as from deliberate use has been dropping. After Ed they had Bloomberg on, so I shut it off at that point.

Lots of VCDL stuff on the show, so even If Bloomberg spouted pure evil, got some publicity out there.

alloy

Watched it but flipped to something else when Bloomberg began his talking points.
Would have preferred Bloomberg first, then the rebuttal, but it wasn't exactly bent that way, it was bent the other way.

wally626

i will skip the stuff on Obama being a little bit political, but they GOA spokesman was asked about guns on planes, which he favors. The interviewer said you want gun battle in the air and he came back with, well if a passenger on 9/11 had a gun things may well have come out better. Don't remember the exact words but to the effect that a gun battle on a plane would have been a lot better than flying it into the office building. The interviewing just looked stunned at that answer.

Listened to the Bloomberg stuff this morning. Mostly about stopping private sales of guns, lots of distortions about gun show sales. Of course like always the show the big table full of guns, then talk about private sales. Yes, there are privates sales at shows but not the table they showed.

Evan Thomas

I watched that segment to the bitter end. It was fairly good, until the interview with Mayor Bloomberg, who was... umm... a bit disingenuous here and there. He was also explicitly framing gun control as a states' rights issue, which I found fascinating given the history of that term. :eek: It was a pity he had the last word.

I also thought it was too bad that the segment didn't even mention the Heller decision, or the Chicago incorporation case. For a show that purports to provide in-depth information on current issues, that seemed an odd oversight.