Varmit gun suggestions?

tombread

I would like to hear recommendations for a varmit gun for our farm. I have various milsup rifles, in .308 and 8mm, but that's overkill, and several .22s, but that seems underkill for racoons and coyotes. I have an M1 carbine, but that doesn't strike me as The One, either. I need something with a scope, maybe an autoloader, and I would prefer not to pay more than $350 with scope. (An AR-15 is too pricey.) Is this a reasonable expectation?

Rob Pincus

I've got a Ruger .25-06 that I'd love to trade to ya.... It is worth $300-$350, but I've got no scope to trade with it.

It is an an M77 Longslide with the varmint barrel.

Also, you might look into a Savage .243... I think they sell a rifle/scope package for around $350 at Wal-Marts....

like2shoot

It is not an autoloader but it my serve your purpose. Look at the New England Firearms Synthetic Handi-Rifle in 223. Way under 350 bucks. I posted this at another site if you had the same question there.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
What ranges? How much problems with neighbors and noise? Mostly daytime, or mostly nightime & calling? Open fields? Woods'n'brush?

For ranges regularly less than 200 yards, the .22 Hornet or a .222 would be adequate. I've done as well with a bolt-action as anything else, over the years.

If you handload, a 110-grain bullet in .308 works quite well, and you can always load down a bit to hold down the noise--I don't consider a 110-grain bullet to cause much recoil.

FWIW, Art

tombread

Thanks for your replies. I would be shooting in open field and around our creek, both day and night but mostly the latter. Noise is not a problem, nor (mostly) is bullet carry. I want something easy to shoot, with relatively inepensive ammo. I don't reload yet. I would like a plinker as well as something to cut down on the racoons and rabbits that will pillage the garden, and to keep the occasional coyote away. If a .22 magnum would do the trick, that might be the most economical route, but I had been in mind of a .223-- bolt or autoload-- with a decent scope. (I saw a recommendation in one post that a shotgun scope allows faster target acquisition.) I probably would not be shooting further than 200 yards. Anything futher and I could use my 7.65 or .308, though it's likely I would only scare the critturs as they aren't scoped.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Tombread: Don't know how much night-hunting you've done, so I may be preaching to the choir.

I use a red lens-cover on my QBeam. I hold it so that as I sweep, and eyes appear, I can put only the edge of the light on the eyes. The animals react less to the light that way, and will continue on in to a call. I'll also move the light completely off the animal for intervals...Or, two flashlights, such as a Streamlight for the initial finding, and a much weaker light to merely light up the eyes.

At night, for whatever reason, it takes several shots at different animals before the action stops.

I'd expect most varmints to come in to within 50 yards, to a call, so you can pick your cartridge in part on those terms. Of course, 200-yard shots in daylight are marginal on a coyote, if you're using a .22WMR in a package cost of around $300.

A bolt-action .223 works well, and the ammo has been cheap. If you start reloading, it's even cheaper. I see no need for the exotic bullets, since the GI stuff works well on varmints. Since there's no recoil, most any brand of scope will work--with the caveat from other threads that you must check to see if the point of aim is different from, say, three-power when at nine-power.

Most any good used rifle will work. You can go thru the tfl archives on re-bedding. You can add a custom trigger later, if necessary. (I didn't realize when I bought it that my new Ruger 77 in .223 had a "tort-liability" trigger. Mr. Timney's unit took a tad of grinding for the safety to work, but it was a piece of cake for the installation.)

And so on...

Best luck, Art

armedtotheteeth

Sounds like your talking about a Mini 14.Might be able to find one at a pawn shop nearby for around $350. I saw one here with scope for $400. If you got a wal mart around that still carries guns and ammunition, the federal 50 grain Hollowpoints will blow a jackrabbit in 2. And it is the cheapeast ammo i can find that I will put in my Ar-15.

cz223

Rob, what do you want in trade for that 25-06?

Tom, If you are gonna be shooting past 100 yds most of the time I think you should get something in 223. If most of your shots were going to be limited to 100-125 yards I think that a Marlin or Savage in 17HMR could be just the ticket. If you do decide to go the rimfire route I would give serious consideratin to the 17HMR. I like the 22mag but, the 17HMR is just so much more accurate and explosive. You can get into one of these for around $200 and still have money for a decent scope.

Back to rifles for the 223. I am huge Savage fan and with your budget I would recomend either the Stevens 200, for around $275 or a Savage package deal for around $375. Either of these is gonna be a good shooter. With Savage package deal you will most likely want a better scope later on but the one that comes with it will be okay for now. Don't be afraid to look at used guns on Gunbroker.com and some of the classified sections. My best deals have come that way. You might also want to consider the 204 Ruger in one of these guns. It will cost you alittle more but that will change once you start reloading. It is a great cartidge for what you want.

The other guns that you might consider are the Mossberg ATR and the NEF Varmint and ultra varmint guns. The Mossberg looks like a real winner at around the same cost as the Stevens. I like their stock better, but I don't own one yet. From what I have heard they are quite accurate. The NEF Varmint and the Ulra Varmint guns might be the best gun for the money on the low end of the scale. From what I have heard they are scary accurate. The nice thing about these is you can get extra barrels for a little over a hundred bucks. Agin, I don't own one but I was real temted recently at the local toy store by one of the Varmint rigs with an interesting Red/green lighted scope for $170 in 17HMR. Had it been a 204 I would have had to had it. I really wanted it anyway but I didn't really havethe cash at the time and it was not something I wanted to trade anything on.

As for the semi autos I think I would syay away from them for your purposes. The regular barreled Ruger mini 14s are gonna be at or over your budget without a scope even used and not in the best of shape from what I have seen. They are not accurate enough for the distances you want anyway. The only gun in you price range that might meet your needs is the Saiga. I have heard a lot of good about these guns and I want one but not as Varmint gun. I have heard some unbeleavable reports of accuracy but I am doubtfull. I will say that it still might not be a bad investment if if having a fun plinker that would be good out to 100 yards or so would be good enough for you. At around $225 bucks they sound like a heckofa bargain to me and of course they can be had in 223.

By the way, Inthe past year I have picked up 4 Heavy Barreled Varmint/target Savge rifles with stainless fluted barrels and the heavy laminated stocks for about $450 each. These guns sell new for $600-750. Three of the 4 have accu-triggers and they all shoot incredibly well.:D

kemp

I just picked up the Ruger Mini-14 Target model. Finally a ruger that shoots straight. I use to use my Savage .270 for the yotes. The mini-14 target is designed for them. Fist day out i reached out 270 yards on the first one, first shot, he ran 10ft and dropped, as he dropped another one ran through the bush at about 190 yards, running fast, i fired the other 4 shots in the clip(im in canada) and 2 of them hit em. Best gun ive ever killed dogs with. good luck.

Full-choke

Savage 22 Mag/17 HMR would be good all around...only good out to 150, 100 or less on yotes personally.

If you want centerfire look at the Stevens 200. From what I hear they are good rifles for the money. Fit and Finish isn't wonderful but they shoot good. You'd still have some money to put some moderate glass on top as well.

F-C

azsixshooter

I got a Marlin 917V in .17 HMR and it's a good shooter after I shimed/replaced a couple of trigger group springs. With a Simmons 8-Point 4x-12x scope it comes in at around $250 total and I'm happy with it. It's my bobcat gun for now, but I'm not entirely convinced that .17 HMR is adequate for coyotes, especially at distance. I _MIGHT_ take a coyote with a 20 grain XTP at 50 yards or less, but I don't even know about that. It'd have to be a pretty scrawny coyote.

I think if you're going to be getting a lot of looks at coyotes then you should stick to the .223 like you said. Probably your best bet, unless you're planning on trying to save coon pelts. Even then, some of the handloaders around might be able to make something for you that wouldn't damage the pelt too much. I'd say if you want to save pelts maybe look at the .204 Ruger like someone had mentioned, otherwise sounds like a .223 is just what doc ordered for you.

USNairman

hksigwalther,

A 10-22 "MAGNUM" will run him over $600 since that is the going price for these. At least that is what I got out of mine ($625) on Gunbroker and it was 80-85%.
They are hard to come by.

hksigwalther

hehe. Please note that I had posted that reply on 05/11/99 when 10/22Ms were still in full production.

Yes, I know the 10/22Ms are going for well over $500 used now. I have 3 myself (2 bought NIB, 1 very slightly used at $450 a few months ago) all converted (or will be converted) to .17 HMR.

Wiskey_33

I"m in the process of building a Bushmaster in .223 to get the Hog job done. I'll be able to hit Yotes easily with the setup that I"m putting together.

Plus, the "evil black rifle" could be on the endangered species list here pretty soon...hope not though.

T. O'Heir

"...and night but mostly the latter..." Make sure that's legal where you are, then go find a used .223 bolt action. Your budget eliminates most new scoped rifles.