Varmint Rig Scope Ring Decision?!?!

Full-choke

As many of you know I am nearing completion of my 6mm Remington TC Encore Varmint rig. I have everything I need except for one final part, the scope base and rings. I have looked at several but I have no clue what I want or what I would like to see on there.

I have always been partial to Weaver as far as mounting, but I think I might want something a little better. I was looking at Warne Maxima and Leupold too, but haven't really seen anything that I liked. My local gun shop guy said he would use Ironsighter (or something along that name) but they seemed pretty cheap to do a good job.

The rifle is a getting a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50 scope put on it, and it is a custom shop heavy barrel. I'm thinking the max range will probably be something of 5-600 yards, at least where I am at. Would it be profitable to get scope rings with a windage adjustment? Any suggestions might be helpful too if anyone has something they have used in the past. I think it will take a High or Extra High ring to get it up over the barrel when it is all said and done.

Thanks,
F-C

rgitzlaff

I really love burris signature rings. They use plastic inserts that are self aligning, so you don't have to lap the rings or worry about any mechanical binding on the scope. They also will not mar it at all. You can buy offset rings to put some external windage or elevation on it also, which eliminates the need for a tapered base. All that and they won't break the bank on you like some other rings out there.

mikejonestkd

most of my encore rifle barrels wear TC weaver style bases with either Burris Zee rings or signature rings. So far I have not had any problems with them. One persistant problem with high volume shooting is with a wandering zero as the barrel heats up. All of my centerfire barrels tend to slowly start to shoot low as the barrel heats up.

You won't need to worry about additional elevation for the ranges you are talking about

Hope this helps.

bigautomatic

Lots of good mounting equipment out there these days, just depends on how much you want to spend. I like Ken Ferrel's stuff, but it doesn't come cheap.

Full-choke

mikejones,

How many rounds we talkin' to get you to heat the barrel up that much? The custom shop barrel I am supposed to get (eventually) is a heavy barrel. I'm hoping I don't have any problems with that.

To all others, thanks, I will look in to the Burris Signature rings.

F-C

sholling

I'm far from an expert and usually just fall back on Burris or Warne rings, but these DedNutz 1-Piece scope base/rings intrigue me enough that I'm considering them for my next project. The reviews are pretty darn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URR112hZnrs

10006C.jpg

Full-choke

I was thinking about going with something like the Dednutz ring, but I ended up getting talked out of them. My TC guy said that they are great and extremely stable but you have to be warry when putting them on something like a heavy barrel. Between the barrel and scope bell it can limit how much you can adjust for your eye relief.

I think I am going to go after the Burris Signature, that is a nice ring. I looked it up last night and I like how they work. My Burris is one of the gloss finish models so I really want it to continue to look good.

F-C

sureshots

Dednutz

Dednutz are A great way to go. Low.Med. or high. Non slip. You can get silver,black or cammo. You can order from their website, great product.

Full-choke

Put some Burris Signature Rings on order through the local gun shop. After getting a resounding answer on them I guess I have to try them. The guy that took my order said they had the normal ones if that would work and I promptly said "No" that the Signature rings came highly recommended. So, I hope everyone is right otherwise I'm gonna feel like a moron...:p

F-C

mikejonestkd

You will be pleased with the burris signature rings.

My larger bore/ higher powder charge calibers heat the barrels up quicker, my .223 heavry barrel takes about 10-15 rounds in 5 minutes to heat the barrel up enough to notice a slight vertical stringing and the shots always go low as the barrel gets warmer. My .22-250 heavy barrel starts to walk after 10 rounds in 5 minutes or so. my regular taper .243 barrel walks a bit- like an inch down- after 10 rounds in 5 minutes.

just keep your bench or field sessions to a shot ever few minutes or so and you'll probably not notice a point of impact change as the barrel will stay fairly cool.

Full-choke

I'm going to be practicing cold bore shots as that is what it will have to get used to. When I pull it out of the safe to punch a hole in a yote at 400 yards, I want to know where it is going. So I will probably not be taking lots and lots of rounds down the tube at one time.

F-C