Varmint rifle... what would you pick?

wyobohunter

I've done very littly varmint hunting but would like to add it as a bonus for my other winter activities...
-I like to explore on my old but trusty Ski-Doo Tundra (covering lots of ground)
-I also cross country ski (need a light/portable rifle).
-The varmints in my neck of the woods are mostly yotes could can include the occasional wolf or lynx... Plus game birds (ptarmigan and grouse).
-I'd really like something that isn't too much trouble to throw on the ice fishing sled just in case a shot presents itself.
-I'd consider any style of action.
-I'm interested in something from 22-250 up to 25-06.

5RWill

+1 for roach, looking at a AR myself, now if i can find it in my beloved 22-250 ill go nuts but so far the best deal to me seems to be the .223.:(

wyobohunter

p.s.

I handload, so anything but wildcats are within consideration. I'm also a lefty. I'd like to get suggestions on specific models. Just tell me what you'd buy, have fun with it.

Darren007

Remingtonm 700 SPS VT in .204 Ruger or .223

Tough, reliable, and extremely accurate. Plus they come in left hand. Theyre fairly inexpensive too, I think I paid around $540 after tax for mine.

ziggy222

if its going to be abused just get a single shot in your preferred caliber.if your going for great accuracy then try a savage bolt.i like the predator in full camo and the 12bv series.if it has to look nice get a remington ,howa,sako,theres many.
100_3018.jpg

5RWill

bus_24fvar9.jpg

There you have it! lol top that with a magpul stock, sightron 6-24x 50mm scope and a harris bipod.:eek: One varmint killing machine:D

Forwardassist

AR-15..built to your specs. Here's one from DMPS that is ideal for hunting.

That's an AR-10, not an AR-15. You can not use a large caliber AR-10 upper on a Ar-15 lower. Also .22-250 is an AR-10 chambering. AR-10's are much bulkier and heavier than Ar-15s. They weight more as much as many heavy barrel bolt-action varmint rifles.

Personally I would choose either an Ar-15 in .223, or maybe 6x45mm. The other choice is get a Savage in .223, 22-250 etc.

roach4047

Here's a couple of options. One a bolt action and one semi auto.

You might want to consider Remington's Model 700. They are available in all sorts of calibers. I'm sure you could find one that will suite your needs. They offer them in left handed versions as well.

It's said that so far as AR's go that a 6mm-250 is a good choice. Good barrel life and better long distance performance. It's a popular Cartridge/XTC match round. Good to 1000 or so I've read
about.

Some builders have done .22-250 in an AR-15 as I understand but they recommend going with something like mentioned above.

Roach

j.chappell

I purchased one of Remington’s Model 7 Predators in 243 Winchester and have been more than impressed with it.

Check out the link:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_seven/model_seven_predator.asp

I topped the rifle with Leupolds matte one piece long range base and low rings and installed a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36mm, had the rifle full length pillar bedded and have not been this happy with a rifle for a very long time. It consistently shoots .75"-1.0" "200 Yard" groups with Federals factory 80gr. hotcor loading. Handloads are even better.

The rifle shoots, is light, and stands up to the weather.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Don't need a heavy barrel, since they're not really necessary if you're not shooting prairie dogs. Heat is not a factor when messing with the occasional Wily Coyote. Sporter or light sporter is fine.

Southpaw? I think Savage makes southpaw versions, and they're commonly quite accurate for tight groups.

For a skilled shooter, a .223 is fine for coyotes to 300 yards. A .22-250 or a .220 Swift is probably a 400-yard critter. I know of a local south Georgia guy who swears by his .204 for coyotes, and it seems he's taken them on out to around 200 yards or so.

As far as scopes, I've found that the 3x9 on my .223 is fine for prairie dogs to 300, as is the 2x7 on my .243.

The Terminator

About 3 weeks ago, I held an AR15 that had a 223 WSM upper. I have not looked at the ballistics yet, but it looks like a dandy varmit/predator round. For a beater, I'd never put the money into it that an AR would cost.

I'd seriously consider a stainless NEF Handi Rifle, in .243 with a decent 32mm scope. Here is a photo of mine, albeit a .270, certainly adequate, just maybe more recoil than one would want for very small targets. I paid $225 for everything shown. It had less than a box through it, I was told. ;) That is a Tasco 4X on it. A guy bought it for hogs, and then moved on to another caliber. It looks brand new. Light, accurate, cheap, handy, get one in .243, no worries about rust or corrosion. Synthetic stock. Use it.

I want to add, some very experienced shooters are also recommending the 223. It comes in that caliber as well. Best - Ted

One more edit, this is also available in a 25-06 varmit model. Buying new, you could be set for $350 or so, including a scope.

NEF270.jpg

garryc

-I'd really like something that isn't too much trouble to throw on the ice fishing sled just in case a shot presents itself.
Your basic truck gun. The NEF would be a good call for that.

j.chappell

I find it hard to believe that someone would even suggest an AR type rifle, or any semi auto, for the conditions that you are going to be experiencing.

I'd stick with a bolt action, I wouldn’t even consider a semi auto, lever, falling block, rolling block, or break action. I just think it is much harder to weather proof their actions compared to the bolt actions.

Someone is going to jump me about this but if you have ever hunted in extreme cold you know what I am talking about. Yes I know it’s not the cold, no it isn’t, it’s the moisture that builds internally and inevitably freezes rendering your rifle useless until you have a chance to thaw it out.

I just would not want to rely on the ejection of some of the break actions, nor the operation of any semi auto when being exposed to numerous hours in extreme conditions.

All rifles can be weather proofed to a degree but a bolt is much easier and more reliable than most other actions out there.

This is only my opinion and as such is not meant to offend.

mkg

wyobohunter, Budget ?

Low budget , Stevens 200 in 22-250 , Tasco 6-24X42AO under $400

Medium budget and high budget have been covered.

Mike

Inspector3711

Remington 700 LVSF (light varmint stainless fluted). Composite stock, 22" stainless barrel, Xmark pro trigger (hard to beat), weighs 6.75 lbs and is pretty much weather resistant. Available in .22-250 and several other calibers (I have a .223 pre xmark and in my opinion the trigger is the only negative thing). This is designed as a predator rifle and would fit your needs perfectly. This week my Rifle Basics trigger will be in and I'll finally have a perfect .223 walking rifle!

This rifle isn't available in .25-06 but .25-06 (I have a Mark X Mauser in this caliber) may be more power than you really need for predators and birds (birds with a .25-06?:eek:). It has been said that in the wind the .25-06 will outperform the .22-250 on long shots but it all depends on what you need. I have a .22-250 VSSF and it maxes out at 55grain bullets where the .25-06 I start out ar 75 grains and can go up to 120 grains. The .22-250 is more economical to reload (about 25% less for brass and bullets and 50% less for powder), probably has a longer barrel life, and has a much lighter recoil. For what you've stated your needs are, the .22-250 may be the better choice.

Here's how I look at mine:

.25-06 Mark X sporter is for coyotes to deer and will be used for days when I need to make longer shots in the wind. It has a light barrel so isn't real great for high volume shooting.
.22-250 VSSF is the varmint version of the Sendero, weighs too much to carry so is for bench shooting at anything from coyotes to sage rats or just cutting paper (.500 groups at 100yds)
.223 LVSF is for walking through the mountains looking for a shot up to 200 yards at a coyote or anything down to a squirrel.

I'm currently looking at maybe buying a .300 WSM for elk hunting.

wyobohunter

wife just rolled her eyes

Since I just bought a new rifle, scope/rings, chrony etc. etc., my wife is a little disgusted that I'm already picking my next weapon (tough luck for her:D).
My budget for a rifle for this use is medium, so I probably will not go w/the AR-15 platform (though I'd really like one).

I'm trying to narrow it down to either the H&R/NEF break open or some bolt rifle. Really leaning toward the break open cause they are cheap, reliable and I've heard that they are accurate. Plus I don't have to worry about finding a left hand model.

The conditions here really aren't very extreme (I live on the Kenai Peninsula), maybe -20° at worst, for just a week or so. Wyoming weather can be much colder than it is here and I've never had a cold caused malfunction with any type of action there, so I'm not concerned about the winter environment affecting the action.