Varmint optics advice

handlerer2

I have recieved, as a Valentine, a Cooper Model 22, Montana Varminter, 6.5x284. I have only experience with traditional hunting optics. I have two MkV's with basic Nikon Monarch 3x9's.

I need advice on appropriate optics for the capabilities of this piece/ Is a basic Mdl 22, 26", varmint weight, 1in 8", AA+ Claro. I have researched some target rifle optics, but won't go $3600 on competition optics. I will go $1000. I would Like some advice on elevated bases on a higher power hunting optic.

How many MOA of elevatation are needed to allow a 100 yd zero and adjustment to 600 yds?

Intended uses are coyote and turtle control, north and south.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm a lifelong shooter, and hunter, been shooting and hunting 47 years including miltary and law enforcement.

Stealth01

Topped my Model 54 Varmint with a leupold 3 X 9 X 40 - Very nice scope!

bba1f928.jpg

zoomie

You'll only need 10-12 MOA adjustment to reach 600 with a 100 yard zero. Any reasonable magnification hunting scope is going to have way more than that with no need for angled bases.

If you're going to be repeatedly dialing elevation, look at Nightforce. A little over your $1K, but well under your $3600. Or Leupold Mark 4 for a little less. If you won't be dialing (i.e. using reticles for holdover), then you can go with a lesser scope that may or may not have the same repeatable adjustments but will still have quality glass and internals.

Powderman

If you have the coin....buy once, cry once.

Nightforce 5.5-22x56, with the MLR reticle. Or, if you want, you can actually save some cash and still have Nightforce optics--go for the Benchrest 8-32x56.

handlerer2

My cousin and his wife have a couple of thousand acres in George County MS. My cousin has damed a creek and made a large pond on his land. His wife tried to raise ducks and geese. The red eared turtle prey on ducklings and goslings. They have invited me to shoot all the turtles I want. There is also a problem there with wild dogs and coyote.

Take a look at the Vortex Viper and Razor lines of scopes. Lifetime warranty that rivals Leupold's. Very clear glass, repeatable clicks etc... I have 2 Vipers and can't say enough good things about them...

lewwetzel

I'd go with a variable-power to 20 or so, In a Leupold, or Zeiss; Sightrons are good if you stay with the SII Big Sky or SIII. I just put a Minox 4-20X50 on my Model 21, but haven't shot it enough for an accurate assessment; so far so good, though, and it might give a Leupold a run for its money as an American-assembled scope (the glass is definitely better.)
Does your "valentine" happen to have a sister? ;)

Fullboar

Get the Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST Scope in FFP. I got one about 4 or 5 months ago and it's a real nice scope. Once you get a load set up to use in your rifle you can get the Custom Turret matched to it so going from 100 yards to 200 yards is as easy as turning to the 2 on the turret, going to 300 yards you turn the turret to 3, if you want to go to 600 yards you turn the turret to 6 ect. I think I payed around $900 for my scope and they are built like a tank. They are probably not as tuff as a Nightforce but IMHO they have better glass, dont cost as much and vortex warranty cant be beat.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle
The Vipers have a 30mm tube and lots of internal adjustment so they will get you to 600 yards no worries without a canted base as far as rings go have a look at the Seekins Precision Rings or the Vortex Precision Matched Rings (they are made for Vortex by Seekins) they are hard to beat.
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/ind...&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-precision-matched-rings-30mm-riflescope-medium-height

Last edited:

handlerer2

I really appreciaye the advie and sharing yur opinions, I'm seriously considering the Minox and the Vortex. I always have wanted a varmint rifle and couldn't ne happier with my wifw and my Montana Varminter. Thanks all!

ronl

I like the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 as they are a lot of scope for the money. I have one mounted on a 700 and it , on uncanted bases, runs out of elevation at just over 900 yds. It would probably fit your intended purposes for the rifle very nicely without breaking the bank. Vortex customer service is excellent. The PST's are quite nice, but they are twice the price of the Viper. Nightforce would always be a good choice and you can absolutely count on repeatable performance, that is if you want to drop the coin on glass.

603Country

I have a Leupold 6.5X20X50mm with the 30mm tube on my varmint gun, and it's a great scope. I can't say that it's better than others, but I don't think I could ask for more - but if I got another one I'd be sure it had the Varmint Hunter reticle. As for customer service, I've never had a Leupold scope break, so all I know is what I hear, which is they have good service.