varmint load for the 30-30

Jump boot

I have a friend that wants to use his 30-30 Marlin lever action for coyote hunting.I came across a Sierra 110 gr. hollow point varmint bullet in the Midway online catalog.Would this work in a tubular magaine?
Do you have any suggestions for a varmint round for the 30-30?

Dogjaw

The picture shows a flat nose hollow point, which is safe in a tubular magazine. The reviews are mostly about using in 30-30 lever actions. Speer's No. 11 manual has 30-30 data on the 110 gr hollowpoint varmit with the featured rifle being a Winchester 94. Go for it.

pumpkinheaver

You can use any light .30 bullet just put one in the pipe and only ONE in the magazine. I used 125 gr ballistic tips quite a bit for woodchucks.

jlbpa

speer 100 grain plinker (half jacket). Haven't shot a coyote but they lay waste to ground hogs and raccoons and are accurate enough to take the head off a chicken at 40 yards using a williams peep sight. I'd say at 100 yards or less you could easily bag a coyote.

I use 15 to 20 grains of IMR 4759. low 30's grains of imr 3031 would also work.

azredhawk44

I load the Hornady 1/2 jacket 100gr bullets REALLY fast. I do not stack them in the tube magazine. I use IMR4895 underneath this bullet and I don't have a chronograph, but I get lead contrails when shooting. I would guess I am around 2900-3000fps with it... It is significantly faster to target at 100 yards than a 170gr pushed by the same powder (but lesser charge). The sound report on impact is quite a bit slower behind the gun's report with the 170's over the 100's, and the 170's are doing about 2100fps.

Only popped a rabbit with one thus far, at about 30 yards. It was...explosive. Accuracy isn't great out past about 50 yards.

I have some of the Sierra 110gr varminter hollowpoints you are talking about, but haven't done any shooting with them yet. I loaded these with IMR4895 also. I might actually make it to the rifle range one of these days to really try them out. They should go a bit slower, probably about 2700fps or so, and the better jacket on them should keep them together better so they don't leave lead contrails.

L_Killkenny

I used Sierra 125 gr. JHP's with H4895 powder in the Win 94 trapper that I used to have. That load would shoot 1" groups using the hood of my truck and a Williams receiver sight. Dang I wish I had never sold it. You'll get plenty of range using light weight RN, FP or HP bullets in the 30/30 to negate the need and trouble of using pointed bullets.

LK