variable speed bullets

Casimer

thought that people here might find this article interesting ...

A gun that fires variable speed bullets and which can be set to kill, wound or just inflict a bruise is being built by a US toy manufacturer. The weapon is based on technology used to propel toy rockets.

Lund and Company Invention, a toy design studio based near Chicago, makes toy rockets that are powered by burning hydrogen obtained by electrolysing water. Now the company is being funded by the US army to adapt the technology to fire bullets instead.

http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn14372-toy-rocket-inspires-variablespeed-bullets.html

brickeyee

A gun that fires variable speed bullets and which can be set to kill, wound or just inflict a bruise is being built by a US toy manufacturer.

Wait till they get hit with the licensing rules and insurance costs.

Rampant_Colt

spockphasergs4.jpg

45_Shooter

That sounds nice in theory, but the line is pretty blurry between killing and wounding. I.E. a wounding shot to the gut is likely a kill shot to the head. But a wounding shot to the head is probably worthless to the gut.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
by burning hydrogen obtained by electrolysing water.

So it'll look like a paintball gun? Has to have some sort of water/hydrogen storage tank. If you've already selected "kill" and change your mind how would you reduce the hydrogen charge?

This would require a fairly powerful electric current also, it would either require the user to wear a backpack (or maybe one of PBP's fanny packs:D) OR have very limited shot capacity (or both)

KyJim

First thing that came to mind was Who Framed Roger Rabbit:

Judge Doom: [Running down the alley] That's right! You'll never stop me! You're dead! You're both dead!
Eddie Valiant: Doom!
[Shoots from his toon gun; Doom turns right and the bullets stop in mid air]
Bullet #3: Which way did he go?
Bullet #2: I don't know. He went thataway.
Bullet #3: Let's go.
[They turn left, the wrong way]
Eddie Valiant: Dum-dums.