Varget shortage?

StripesDude

I’ve not seen anything posted about shortages lately. Am trying to restock my Varget supply and can’t find any in stock at my LGS, Cabelas or any online retailer. Does anyone have info on this? Issues at the factory?

NoSecondBest

I don't know where you are, but I'm not having any trouble getting it. I just bought a pound recently and I remember there was more on the shelf.

Marco Califo

Varget is actually made in Australia by ADI. May not be Hodgdons faults. Supply irregularity is common. Powder Valley is out too. PV does have R17 back in stocks.

hounddawg

I am good for a while. I keep a year or so's worth of "go to" components on hand for situations like this. I don't resell anything to anyone and the supplies are are for the sole purpose of being able to load. I have not so fond memories of crawling around on the floor looking for a dropped primer back in 2009. In the Navy we had a saying that if you found yourself crawling around on the floor of jeepney ( google it) looking for a dropped peso you were either real drunk or real hard up. Well that was most reloaders 10 years ago

StripesDude

Well, I started reloading right after Sandy Hook. I was buying anything I could get my hands on. Had to get by with some undesirable powders, but at that point I was only loading for handgun. Lots more forgiving than rifle. I’ve not seen any shortages of anything I use now...until this latest Varget shortage.

hounddawg

this also why you should develop fall back loads if you shoot a lot. Only thing I shoot Varget in now is .223 and there are about a dozen fallbacks if Hogdon stopped selling it completely. Always good to have a few recipes in the bank from different manufacturers for your favorite loads. There is more than one way to skin a chicken as my Daddy used to say

StripesDude

I’ve tried other loads. Just don’t get the same accuracy. Even tried duplicating the Fed Gold Match rounds (my rifle is 308) and can’t even get close with 4064. 4064 is what I shoot in my ARs but it doesn’t work as well in my 308. I’ve tried half a dozen other powders as well and keep coming back to Varget.

Dufus

IMR 4320 is an old sleeper powder for the 308 Win. If you haven't tried it, it just might surprise you.

Note: I use a lot of it and have never owned or used any Varget.

Road_Clam

This is why you should always experiment with substitute powders. While I have about 24# of Varget , I can easily substitute excellent precision with W748 , H4895 , and 2000MR.

T. O'Heir

"...at my LGS..." Midway is showing Varget as being on No Back order. So does Brownell's. They even say it's not available for backorder. Isn't the first time Varget has been scarce either. There are lots of posts from 10 + years ago on assorted forums about the same issue.
"...mismanaged supply and demand..." When you're the only game in town you can do what you like. However, they could drastically increase the price in response to the demand and lack of supply, but they have not.
"...tried duplicating the Fed Gold Match..." Reloaders cannot get the powders used by the manufacturers.

Well this thread panicked one reloader into picking up another lb jar he came across and now one more town is out of Varget. And he (I ) forgot that I already had an extra lb or two beyond my need. Trade goods, I guess.

308Loader

oh no, I'm too late. the local fleet and farm usually has plenty of varget, IT'S GONE! even the 8lb keg that has been on the shelf for the last 3 years.