Varget for AR-15?

Fatelvis

Is Varget of the proper burn speed, for an AR-15 in .223? (20" bbl.) Has anyone had good luck with it? If so, any recipies? Thanx guys!

Jethro

FatElvis,

What bullet weight are you wanting to use? There are a number of loads listed in the Hornady manual, Fifth edition. Let me know.

Stay safe,

Jethro

Steve Smith

Warning: I'm NOT responsible if you foolishly take what I say and act on it without fully working up a safe load in your own firearm!

Varget is one of the "favorite" powders for Highpower AR shooters. We normally shoot it with 69, 77, and 80 grain bullets, although I've heard it said more than once that you cant' get enough Varget in a case to get the speed high enough for our needs. Of course, we push 'em pretty hard.

If youre' not going to shoot over 200 yards, or at least in no wind conditions, then look at the Sierra 52 grain HPBT MK for the best accuracy. John Feamster and other Presicion Shooting gurus have noted that it is as close to a guaranteed accuracy bullet as there can be. I don't have any load data for it, though, as I shoot the heavies, and I use RL-15.

Edited for clarity.

Fatelvis

Thanks for the info so far! I have an Armalite with a 1:9 twist. What would be the best bullet weight for accuracy/trajectory for shooting 300 yds. max? I was going to load 55grns., to simulate mil. ammo, but if something else would work better, by all means, I`m all ears!!

Steve Smith

I think that the 52 grain would still kick more tail than any other bullet for your application, unless you're in wind. HP shooters mostly use 69 grainers for 2 and 300 yards, but I use 77 grainers, as I can find myself in heavy wind at a match.

If you really intentd to shoot to 300 yards, try some Sierra 69 gr. HPBT and some Hornady 75 gr. A-max. Both *may* shoot in a 1:9 twist barrel. They're worth a try. Beginner HP guys who have 1:9 ratios have had some luck with these bullets. Basically, some barrel maker's 1:9 is quicker than others. If yours is closer to 1:8, then you might be in luck...if it's closer to 1:10, then you're going to be stuck with maybe a 60 gr tops. You can mark your cleaning rod and push it through and mark again where it twists one full turn, then measure between the two marks and you'll have an idea of where to start.

Is your AR an A2 model (with fixed carry handle)? If so, you could get started in Highpower competition, and shoot "reduced course" matches of 200 yards with it. When you decide to change barrels, you could consider getting a 1:7.7 or 1:8 and a free float tube, and shoot across the course! (2, 3, and 600 yards).

Oh, BTW, stay away from Winchester primers...many guys including myself have had piercing problems with them. Remington 7 1/2 and CCI BR4 primers work very well.