Varget & 223 reloads

TJB101

So my go to has been 25 to 25.5 gr of Varget with my 55gr FMJ pills. So far I’ve been quite happy with the results in several of my rifles.

Wanted to load up a batch of plinking rounds and the thrifty side of me had me perusing my books once again. Most every reloading manual I have denotes starting range near 25gr for Varget with 55gr.

I believe this is from my Hornady manual ... anyone ever try the 22.8gr starting load? Curious about accuracy, lowered recoil, acceptable performance, etc. Also, it seems all my Hornady load levels for all bullet weights are very low compared to recipes from Sierra, Lee and others. Typical with Hornady?

{Edit: Copyrighted material removed. Please read the board policy on posting copyrighted materials}

Thanks,

Tim

T. O'Heir

"...the 22.8gr starting load..." Is 2.7 grains below the current Hodgdon start load.
Lee tests nothing themselves. They re-publish Hodgdon data.
Start loads are just that. The amount of powder you start with when working up the load. Then you go up by half a grain to the Max load.
Anyway, somewhere on that Hornady page will be the firearm, if there was one, used by Hornady, barrel length and rifling twist. Load data are averages and only applies to the equipment and environmental conditions of the day of the test only. That's why there are difference in manuals.

Lee's data isn't Hodgdon's data alone. It's a mix from a number of sources. They do test the ones in the book that have their velocity factor number.

jpx2rk

I've used Nosler's website for load data. Their 23.0g of Varget with their 55g Varmageddons HPFB & Tipped are half to 3/4 MOA all day long in 2 bolt actions I have.

bamaranger

Varget

I use Varget as an accuracy powder in my heavy bullet bolt rifle .223 loads....69 gr Sierra's and 68 gr Hornady FMJBT's. . I also use it in my light sporter with the 52 gr Sierra match bullet. The charge weights I use are all above what you are using, and within the range listed in my Speer manuals.

Just off hand, I'd say your 25 gr loads with the 55 grain bullet are indeed a bit light,and I'd think 22.8 would be very light.

Not familiar with Hornady data.

hounddawg

My 26" 8 inch bolt gun did not care much for light bullets with Varget and I got the best results with CFE 223 with 53 - 62 gn bullets. I use Varget for 69 - 80 and it does fantastic but with lighter bullets it was mediocre at best.

You might try Benchrest and RL10 also, I used it with 20 cal bullets and both were great groupers

jetinteriorguy

A good friend of mine swears by CFE223, I haven't tried it yet myself but have shot thousands of the 55gr bullets with H335 with excellent results. As soon as I use up the 14 lbs I have on hand I'm going to try CFE223.