Vaquerro Questions

Doug444

Just bought my second Cowboy pistol, a Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag, 5.5" barrel. My first was a Hawes Western Marshall, and I'd worked up a load w/.44 Mag brass that shot well in both the Hawes and my Rossi '92. Basically, a 200gr. pill @ about 800 fps. Shoots 5 into about 1.5 - 2" at 15 yds. Now, the Vaquero shoots the same load into about 4", low and left about 3" each way. Shooting 2-handed off-hand (traditional) I can keep all 10 shots from both guns in about an 10" circle.

Here are the questions:
1) Is this good enough for most targets in CAS, or should I be looking for another load?

2) Since both of these are chambered in .44 Mag, would a load near the top (1,000 fps, CAS rules) be a better choice, typically?

3) Would a heavier or lighter bullet be a better approach than changing velocity?

I know the ballistic theories: heavier bullet, higher impact (short range), etc. What I want is anyone's actual experience with trying to find a single load for two different handguns, particularly in .44 Mag.

Input will be appreciated.

Doug444

Alex Johnson

You should definitely experiement with different loads, but than you can adjust the vaquero to hit point of aim. Shooting low is a lot better than shooting high. All you have to do to adjust this is carefully file a bit off the front site to bring the bullet impact to the point you want. Adjusting the windage is a bit more tricky, a qualified smith should be able to turn the barrel slightly to acheive this. Before I would go to any of this trouble though I would definitely test several different loads in the gun to find the one you like best, even so, some sight adjustments will probably still be necessary though. Have fun.

Doug444

Thanks for the replies, and the load info.:) ! I was beginning to think I was the only CA shooter using .44 Mag. for a while there.

Doug444