Vaquero vs Blackhawk... Which handles hotter loads?

Dogger

Is the Vaquero as strong at the Blackhawk when it comes to dealing with hot 45 Colt loads?

I want to purchase either a 4 5/8 inch stainless Bisley Vaquero, KRBNV44, or the 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk, KBN44...

If one is better at handling hotter loads it might weight my decision one way or the other.

Thanks!!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
If anything, the Vaquero may be stronger, having no reduction of the topstrap for rear sight attachment.

Ben Shepherd

Reading the stuff that Limbaugh and Elmer Kieth wrote, the cylinders blow out long before the frames fail. Usually around 80-85,000 cpu. If you load anywhere near that, you are ABSOLUTELY NUTS.(at least I never would). 454 Casull is limited to 65,000 for heavens sake.
If you can, shoot both, the grips are a little different, so they recoil differently. I think percieved recoil should be the deciding factor for your choice, since you're after hot loads.
Bottom line: Go with whichever you like better. Either one is strong enough to handle anything you can load.:D
BTW: Have fun shooting the 45 to it's full potential!!!

Jim March

The grip shape between New Model Blackhawks and the Vaquero is identical. There's a "Bisley" variant grip available for either one that's way different, and has the reputation of being able to control big recoil better than the other grip.

What Ruger calls a "Bisley" grip is actually closer to an old Elmer Keith custom SAA grip from the 1930's, versus the Colt Bisley target SAA variant made around the turn of the century. There are Italian clones out that copy the genuine Colt Bisley feel but I'm of the opinion Ruger picked a better source in the Keith grip, which was made from a combination of Colt SAA and Bisley grip pieces.

Dave T

It would stand to reason that the cylinders are the same (economy of production) and as stated above the cylinder of a revolver will determine it's strength (other things being equal).

If you are loading maximum loads your point of impact is going to differ considerably from the standard load for a given caliber. For that reason I would recommend the Blackhawk for the adjustable sights. Unless of course you like playing the "Kentucky Windage" game.

Dogger

Thanks, I placed an order today for the stainless Bisley Vaquero.

:)

My wife is gonna shoot me, because now I need new powders, brass, reloading dies, a new press...

:):)

Jim March

That's the one to get.

If you want to switch later, the standard Blackhawk/Vaquero grip frame bolts right on. You can buy Ruger's, or you can get it in stainless or brass from *Qualitas* with less wait for $150 - dunno what Ruger charges. Qualitas is also one of the maker's of bird's head grips.

Some people look for old Blackhawk aluminum grip frames that were left over from somebody's upgrade, and brush off the black coating so that you get a polished aluminum part that doesn't clash too badly with the stainless frame. Overall weight drops by a fair amount, for carry. Those can be had DIRT cheap if not free :).

As long as it's a "new model" grip frame, they all interchange between Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Vaqueros, Bisleys, it's all good :D.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
Eventually, when you have LOTS of money, send it off to Hamilton Bowen...for a custom 5-round cylinder! Then, blast away!

I'll do this with a Smith 25 one day...when I have more money than sense. (Wait, I'm already there- uh, I guess when I have LOTS more money! :D )

Dogger

:) :) :) :)

I picked up the Stainless Bisley Vaquero yesterday. It is absolutely gorgeous. What a hoot!!

Can anyone recommend a load for casual plinking?

Thanks!

seadog

Dogger ,try 6 grains of Red Dot and a 255 grain cast bullet for a plinking load in the 45. I've got a 4 3/4 Stainless and a 44, 5 1/2 blued regular Vaquero. Love em:D

Jim March

Lots of places sell "Cowboy loads" in .45LC that will be the lightest practice fodder you can score. CorBon now sells 'em, although they're not on their website yet. www.ammoman.com often gets large lots of Winchester standard pressure .45LC that will be nice modest practice stuff, and if he has any Silvertips in those are a good defense round, VERY controllable in that gun. But they're over SASS specs.

See, Cowboy Action Shooting (also known as SASS) requires the use of very mild plain lead ammo, because they shoot at steel plates with lots of spectators around. .45LC is one of the more popular calibers, and they shoot it at around 700-800fps with 200 to 250grain lead round nose. And this is now one of the biggest shooting sports in the country, so there's a LOT of suppliers of that stuff.

What I'd do is goto the message board at www.sassnet.com and ask around for whoever sells good SASS-grade .45LC fodder at a good price. That would be your best practice stuff, and what you'd use if you get into that sport :).

Redneck2

For "light" shooting I use 8 to 10 grains of Unique under a 200 lswc. 10 grains would be plenty enough for deer at closer ranges. THIS IS A RUGER ONLY LOAD. Probably in the 1000 fps range and light recoil. If you haven't read "Dissolving the Myth" at sixgunner.com I'd suggest that. As a tip, try to find bullets that have a non-gooey lube. Less residue in the bore.

I have friend that uses 6.8 of Unique under a 250 XTP. Took a huge deer... but drops a lot past 40-50 yards. Used in a Italian made so it's low pressure.

I just got an Uncle Mikes #3 nylon holster. Haven't use it yet. Came recommended on a thread I posted. Do a search and find that thread if you want a "better" holster. They recommended some nice ones but a little more than I want to spend right now. I'll probably put more money into a good one later..this one will get me by for now.